Very slow

2280   5   2
5 posts
Hi! I am a new user of Houdini and I have a problem, using a 16GB PC with an I5 and an Asus GTX 950, my problem is that Houdini is really slow. Can it be a configuration problem? Thank you!
806 posts
Moin,

could you be a tad more specific about what you mean by “slow”? My wife uses her brain, legs and hand and, at times, is very slow, too. I am quite sure *that* is a configuration problem on her side, yet she keeps insisting it's all my fault.

What are you trying to do? Are you experiencing slowdowns in moving geometry around (H isn't the fastest here) or are you talking about simulations? What kind of simulations? Are you sure you optimized your sim settings? Are you talking about rendering? Mantra isn't “fast” but has some (volumetric-related) advantages fast renderers don't offer out of the box.
If your system is not using SSD but mechanical drives, that might be something to look into (in general anyway ) …

There might be settings to tweak, too, but it really depends on what you are experimenting with and what exactly “slow” is for you.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
5 posts
Thanks for your answer … I should have been more specific. I have a geometry from a curve with a text on the surface that is a boolean in substract mode, every time I move the curve it takes a long time to recalculate … Freeze each time. The rendering also takes a lot, I'm sure I could configure it better. And if your wife tells you it's your fault … it's your fault … the women are always right xD I am a beginner … have patience … no one is born learned. Thank you so much.
648 posts
best thing to do is post a hipfile if possible.
806 posts
Hi,

like cpb says, a HIP file for experimentation always is a good idea.

> every time I move the curve it takes a long time to recalculate

… you might consider caching the state of your procedural construction and only recook on the click of a button - have a read on caching results, file caches etc. Because if you *do* recook upon on every input change, you will always run into user experience issues.
Sometimes it makes sense to use proxy geometry / simplified representations for setup purpose and have a switch somewhere that applies what you created with the proxies to the actual “render” geometry. This is more “UXP design” than “procedural thinking”, but with a fully procedural workflow you have to consider both.

On Mantra rendering and speeding it up there are some discussions around here, some tutorials and even one or two masterclasses. In the end, if you want “really fast rendering”, you may have to consider a second render system to accompany Mantra and use each based on its respective strengths.

Sorry, no silver bullet in today's deals, but maybe this helps anyway.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
5 posts
Thank you so much for your time and help!
  • Quick Links