Mixing Keyframe animation and dynamic simulations

4546   1   1
15 posts
Hi guys!

I'm trying to mix a simple keyframe animation with a RBD, I tried using an active value and OBJ position node after the RBD Packet Object node (has the example on houdini help), and I can't set the OBJ position when activate the dynamics.

I also tried the Deactivate Objects tool from the shelf and the result is the same, the object position when the DOP is active its not correct (in this example I followed Peter Quint tutorial “Keyframe /DOP 1”)

If I set the the object position in the RBD packed object transform node it increments the position on the object level.

Any help?

Thanks!
53 posts
Hi

The tutorial on Dops keyframes was made before RBD packed objects existed. In general the easiest way to manipulate packed objects is to use a SOP solver. Inside the solver the packed objects will look like a set of points with attributes on them, one point per object. For example setting the active attribute on a particular point will determine if that object is simulated, changing the position (P attribute) will move it. The RBD packed object helpcard has some details of the attributes.

I did a tutorial on the sop solver some time ago. It is still valid with a minor modification on how you wire in the solver if I remember right. I believe the project file was updated to work in more recent versions of Houdini and is commented.

https://vimeo.com/6660287 [vimeo.com]
Edited by pwquint - Aug. 4, 2017 08:20:12
Peter Quint
  • Quick Links