Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini Ocean and 3rd Party Render Engines
Root » 3rd Party » Houdini Ocean and 3rd Party Render Engines
TwinSnakes007
Sooooo....the H20 Docs says its certainly possible (without exporting texture maps to disk first).

Has anyone tried/got this working yet before I try? lol
TwinSnakes007
This is proving to be a bit tricky, it looks like there some Mtlx shaders that are created by default using the Shelf tools for Small/Large ocean, and it's not obvious to me how to remove those from the /stage and apply my own native Arnold shaders to them.

Huge Edit: The Ocean procedural has toggle(s) to turn shading completely off!
TwinSnakes007
I'm doing something wrong, because, the Husk render is the same level of dicing - I'd expect it to be alot smoother/finer than the viewport.

Viewport is at 0.5 quality, Dicing is at 1.
TwinSnakes007
The weird thing is, Dicing is doing "something", because, the RAM usage is 3gb at 0.5 Dicing, but, the RAM is 13gb at 1.0 Dicing - but the normals/detail are almost exactly the same between 0.5/1.0 Dicing.
paranoidx
Is this what you are talking about about the ocean procedural https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/news/20/oceans.html [www.sidefx.com]
Can I have your setup general ? Thank you.
dnew
Hey all! I'm in the same position, trying to get the ocean procedural working with a third party render engine. Redshift in this case. Did you have any luck with this?
TwinSnakes007
Yeah, I got this working (after SideFx Support pointed out my errors).

I will share a working file for Redshift ASAP!
Elliot Stronge
100% bump on this, I can't get ocean sample layers to work in Karma at all and it really should work so we can build our own ocean shaders using displacement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.