Search - User list
Full Version: Muscle solver vellum issue
Root » Rigging » Muscle solver vellum issue
SEGAS
Hi,
I have been trying to research and learn how to create a muscle system in Houdini.
I looked at the tutorials and scenes ( like the dinosaur setup ).

I have found a weird behavior. I'm trying to make one tissue stiffer than the other but no matter how I change Shape Stiffness the behavior is the same. I have tried multiple scenes and different Houdini versions. It was the same.
Then I tried to use a regular vellum solver and changing stiffness works well.
To me, it looks like there is something wrong with the muscle solver or maybe I'm missing something.

I would appreciate some help here.
Thank you.
johm
Hi
Please post a hip file so I can take a closer look at what you're attempting to do.
thanks!
SEGAS
Hi John,

You can use the dinosaur file from here https://www.sidefx.com/contentlibrary/muscle-and-tissue/ [www.sidefx.com]

If you change the stiffness of the muscles it will not affect the simulation results
johm
That example file uses some significant Fiber Strength, and the muscles have a boosted lower end to the Fiber Scale range. (meaning that at their minimum muscletension, they still have fiber stiffness applied.) Fiber stiffness can make the muscles stiffer. Once you reach a high stiffness value, there may not be much visible difference. So maybe that's what you're seeing?
SEGAS
Hi, I tried to disable fiber stiffness the results of low and high muscle stiffness still match
Here is a simple example to show what I mean. There are 2 outputs for each muscle solver and regular vellum solver. For muscle solver shape stiffness is 10 and 1e+07 and results are the same. For the vellum solver same values ( as for the muscle solver ) for stiffness but the results are different.
johm
Thanks for the example SEGAS. The key difference is in your regular Vellum setup, you are using the stiffness parameters without a Scale by modifier. In the MuscleSolver, we use attributes to scale constraint stiffness values.
The Scale By factoring is not a linear scale.
If you look at a geometry spreadsheet for the Constraint Primitives, and watch what happens to the stiffness attribute for tetrahedral stretch, (Scale By Value behaves just like Scale By Attribute):
Stiffness: 1 x 1000

No Scaling yields a stiffness of 1000.0
Scale By Value: 1.0 yields stiffness = 1000.0
Scale By Value: 1.5 yields stiffness = 31669.0
Scale By Value: 2.0 yields stiffness = 1e6
Scale By Value: 10.0 yields stiffness = 1e30
Scale By Value: 100.0 yields stiffness = 1e37

So getting back to your original question, try using much lower stiffness values to see a difference. Once you start getting into higher Muscle Properties Stiffness values, the constraint stiffness starts to max out.
SEGAS
Hey John,
Thanks for looking into that

Just to follow up

What would I need to do to make a tissue stiffer? E.g. almost rigid like.

I'm trying to find an alternative to Ziva and in our setups, we had to make some tissues much stiffer than others. How would I do that in Houdini?
johm
If you want something really rigid... while it's not directly supported in the muscle solver, you could easily crack the HDA open and add a Vellum ShapeMatch constraint yourself.
SEGAS
Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.