Display Flag and Lights Problem

663   5   0
21 posts
Hello everyone! I have noticed that when the display flag is turned on or off the lights stay on. Is there a way to read the display flag to activate or deactivate the lights via Copy/Paste Relative References? I have also seen that there is an additional parameter in the nodes UI called "Display" that is redundant with the blue Display Flag of the Houdini nodes but also works in the same way.
My intention is to be able to have independent scenes on each Subnet and turn them off and on without the lights and other elements of these scenes interfering with the others.
I have been looking for a way to solve this but I don't understand how this is not possible in a program as robust and advanced as Houdini.
I have attached an example scene and a screenshot that clarifies the problem.
Edited by nazimba - 2024年6月27日 14:30:09

Attachments:
DisplayFlagProblem.zip (315.2 KB)
DisplayFlagProblem.JPG (429.1 KB)

53 posts
My intention is to be able to have independent scenes on each Subnet and turn them off and on without the lights and other elements of these scenes interfering with the others.

So basic example if I get you:
some geo of an Apple object, turn off the apple model geometry visibility(blue tab) at object level and a given light node will "turn off" with it....turn on apple (blue tab), light turns on.....without the apple being visible there is no light, right?

OK, seems reasonable ish......BUT!

Would it not make more sense to setup standard light linking/masking instead and have certain lights that only affect specific geometry?
21 posts
The idea is to consider each Subnet as a scene independent of the rest and that when turning off the Subnet from the blue button on the node, its lights do not interfere with the lighting of other scenes of other Subnets. Nothing to do with light linking. I have simply noticed that when turning off a Subnet, the lights remain on, making it impossible to set up several light setups on different Subnets. Maybe there is another way to do this? Would Solaris be the best path for this?
Thank you for your time analyzing this situation!
253 posts
It's not quite what you want - this is toggling a light on / off from its own display flag, rather than it's 'parent' subnet, but it might point you in the right direction:

https://youtu.be/0khjd0M_ZKc?si=jS2kvVWx3zI-UA9L [youtu.be]
21 posts
Wow Mike_A, this forum is awesome. I think it is the right direction. I'm pretty close now thank to you.
21 posts
In case anyone is interested, here is the solution. You simply have to point to the parent in the expression, instead of the light itself. In this way, when you turn off the subnet display, the light turns off. Thanks Mike_A!

hou.node("..").isDisplayFlagSet()
  • Quick Links