Jointdeform a Lattice using Apex

609   4   3
467 posts
Is it possible to rig a basic Lattice to an Apex rig ?

I tried piping the bound object into an Apex skeleton, but all that resulted in was errors.

Does anyone know how that's done, without reverting to a "surfacedeform" instead of a lattice ?

Thanks,
7868 posts
I did a quick test and seems to work although it's a bit finicky because we have to make sure the divisions match. Here's my quick try:

EDIT: Ah, but I'm not sure what you mean by "joint deform". My example is just using the lattice directly.
Edited by edward - 2024年7月13日 15:44:02

Attachments:
apexLattice.hip (111.8 KB)

467 posts
Hey thanks, but that's just a default lattice setup, no joints or bones involved.

What I was wondering is if it's possible to deform the lattice with some Apex skeleton joints created with the skeleton SOP.

One would expect it to be, with this shiny new advanced Apex tool, but it looks like nothing has changed in that regard. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

But I added a basic scene with a rigged tube that works as expected, but when you use the Switch node and switch to the bound SOP, it won't capture it.

Attachments:
Bound_JointDeform_01.hiplc (177.0 KB)

373 posts
toonafish
Hey thanks, but that's just a default lattice setup, no joints or bones involved.

What I was wondering is if it's possible to deform the lattice with some Apex skeleton joints created with the skeleton SOP.

One would expect it to be, with this shiny new advanced Apex tool, but it looks like nothing has changed in that regard. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

But I added a basic scene with a rigged tube that works as expected, but when you use the Switch node and switch to the bound SOP, it won't capture it.

It has nothing to do with shiny new advanced APEX tool. You could have been able to do this since KineFX became a thing.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-07-14 210643.jpg (136.1 KB)
Bound_JointDeform_01.hiplc (178.9 KB)

467 posts
Ah, brilliant, thanks a lot.

I googled around but couldn't find anything on this, never would have figured a hack like this and unpack and then transfer the bonecapture data attributes from a captured box to the bound SOP to make this work.

My tiny brain is too small for Houdini ;-)
  • Quick Links