ShotGrid nodes do not work with Server Type: Service

504   4   3
39 posts
For Server Type is Shared Server, the label says it is deprecated. Thus we wanted to use the new officially supported method.

When we switch to Server Type: Service in the Server Begin node, the ShotGrid nodes inside the block complain when cooking:
Error 
sharedserver name could not be found

This service does exist in the PDG Services tab, and it is running.

Seems to me that the ShotGrid node does not know how to find the service? And I couldn't find a setting on the node to tell it the name.

This is Houdini 20.0.590. Haven't tried 20.5 yet (because it does not work with the official ShotGrid integration [community.shotgridsoftware.com]).
Edited by monomon - 2024年8月13日 13:53:02
3 posts
Hello,

Just adding in that I have the same exact issue (Houdini 20.5.332), and am hoping that there is a solution, as I would prefer using the service then the sharedserver.

Beli.
63 posts
Cleared this up with support - turns out the service is not supposed to work with flow, formerly shotgrid. The shared server method is still the way, despite what the docs say.
3 posts
Ah, that's a shame.

The shared server method if I'm not mistaken spawns one actual server per input task, and processes then the queries for each input task, which is not really optimized for Shotgrid (Flow, whatever ^^)

At least that is the conclusion I have when I see Nx3 tasks spawning at the begin server block for N input tasks.

I was hoping that the service would allow us to process requests from 1 single connection point and avoid flooding the Shotgrid server, as I often have hundreds of inputs.

Thanks for the update in any case.

Cheers,

Beli
63 posts
Maybe it helps that they are in a block, and executed in a batch, so there is no new server start for each request. So far it's taking a couple seconds for the usual operations we do - could be better but not a huge deal.
  • Quick Links