Creaseweight after subdivide. Why ?

384   3   0
127 posts
Guys, can someone explain why after subdivide the Creaseweight attribute is not reset, but interpolated to new polygons? What is the purpose of this? If I use several subdivides for different levels, then the old interpolated Creaseweight is just interfering garbage. But Houdini does not reset it automatically, forcing me to do it manually every time. Maybe there is some meaning and purpose in this and I'm swearing in vain? Does anyone know this secret purpose?
Edited by RGaal - 2024年9月4日 14:29:54

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-09-04 211059.png (1.5 MB)

325 posts
It would definitely be nice if the crease edges could be maintained that would be a great RFE.

That said, I’ve only really ever seen creases used with render time adaptive tessellation because to accurately model anything close to a sharp crease would typically need a huge number of subdivision iterations which would lead to an unworkable polymesh density.
127 posts
Crease is definitely needed to maintain the shape during smooth polygon growth and smooth parts smoothing where necessary. Starting from a rough model, you will get very good smoothness on the planned curved surfaces through subdivision, and at each step you will add more and more fine details and smooth them out with the next iteration. You will want to smooth out sharp edges at the last step or even leave them for the render bevel. And here is an interpolated crease that has spread across the polygons after each iteration - this is absolute garbage, I could not imagine any purpose for it. It frankly spoils everything, it must be manually reset to zero, and then set a new crease on sharp edges for the next subdivision iteration. A pointless tedious operation.
It would be understandable if after the subdivision it remained only in the old place (as in other software) or was reset. Both options are logical to me. But the current behavior looks frankly mysterious.
8730 posts
Nothing mysterious about it, creaseweight is an attribute so it gets interpolated as any other attribute

This only points to the fact that devs didn't make exception to exclude it from interpolation or to reset it
Rather than doing this on purpose to make your life more difficult

If you are ok with resetting it then you can as well just use crease override on the subsequent Subdivide SOPs and call it a day

But if you wish it was recomputed on the subd geo to correspond to the original crease edge lines, or had additional option to zero out after aubdivision, submit an RFE
Edited by tamte - 2024年9月7日 22:22:10
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links