Reversing normals, but selectively

1592   5   0
136 posts
Hello - Does anyone know a simple way to reverse the normals on a mesh where some are backfaced but not all? cant just use the reverse sop as it inverts everything. I guess i could do some kind of nearpoint look up in vex and use the dot product to see if it's in a different direction but it doesnt feel like it will work exactly?

Anyone had this issue before?

Attachments:
Reverse.jpg (252.1 KB)

Love Houdini
529 posts
If your mesh is a manifold, just use PolyDoctor's "Correct Winding of Polygons to Majority of their Manifold Patch".
10 posts
Look into the PolyDoctor SOP. I don't have experience with it myself, but I've heard of it being used in cases like this.
136 posts
hummm musnt be manifold as polydoctor sop doent work :-(
It's a FBX export of a solidworks model which i suspect is just not cut out for this
looks like it might be a manual selection (might be able to select by normal using the delete sop)

thank you!
Edited by Hatchery - 2022年4月13日 10:15:05
Love Houdini
7981 posts
Hatchery
hummm musnt be manifold as polydoctor sop doent work :-(
It's a FBX export of a solidworks model which i suspect is just not cut out for this
looks like it might be a manual selection (might be able to select by normal using the delete sop)

thank you!

polydoctor manifold check only works if the meshes are are non-manifold. An entire manifold being reversed from the desired state doesn't make it non-manfold.

Try the winding number sop to determine which meshes are reversed. If I remember, a negative winding number is reversed orientation.
136 posts
Oh thanks jsmack ill check that out!
Love Houdini
  • Quick Links