Karma XPU rendering and PDG

1067   3   1
339 posts
Hi! I'm looking for example setups for rendering Karma XPU with PDG. My tests with ROP Fetch in TOPS work fine, but are noticeably slower than rendering USD Render ROPs in the Out context. My informal benchmarks are showing it to be less than 1/2 the speed(!) This may have to do with settings in the localscheduler, but again, I'm not finding much info on how this relates to GPU rendering. Many thanks!
3 posts
Hi, I'm also curious about this topic.
I did some tests on a simple scene and there was a huge speed improvement comparing to LOPs usdrender. I couldn't figure out why TOPs rendered the sequence with CPU instead of GPU how I originally set it up in LOPs. I would appreciate any info on this topic, thanks!

Attachments:
tops_rendering_karma.jpeg (258.5 KB)

Mladen Pozeg
www.mladenpozeg.com
スタッフ
596 posts
You can change the render delegate from Karma CPU to Karma XPU on the USD Render Files node, on the Husk Options tab. Note that in H20.5 there were some changes on the karma/LOPs side of things:

Change the meaning of the "engine" render setting to only control the UI displayed in the Karma LOP. Users should select either the CPU or XPU delegate explicitly.

Which means that you'll need to explicitly choose the render delegate in TOPs, even if your .usd file has a "engine" render setting.
3 posts
tpetrick
tpetrick
great thanks a lot!Just installed H 20.5 and it works perfect.
I have also noticed when rendering via TOPs there is some speed improvements probably while first writing the usd scene to disk and then simultaneously rendering multiple frames at once.
Cheers!
Mladen Pozeg
www.mladenpozeg.com
  • Quick Links