Curve Editor doesn't appear in the Unity Editor

1198   11   2
12 posts
I'm new to Houdini Engine for Unity, diving head first into the Docs, I can't seem to figure out how to get the Curve Editor working.

The Docs mention two methods to create a Curve Asset:
Curves can be created for editing in 2 ways:

Menu - Create a new editable Curve SOP via HoudiniEngine ▸ New Curve Asset

HDA File - Load an HDA containing a Curve SOP node whose name is set in the Editable Nodes list (Deprecated in Houdini 19).

---
When I use the first method, it creates a Curve Asset but the Editor and "green lines, white dots" that I'm expecting to see aren't visible.
So, I used the second method, created a basic HDA that expects a Curve Input, imported it in Unity. The HDA is imported correctly, but when I try to use the custom Curve Asset created in the first method in the HDA parameters, the Curve Editor still isn't visible. I know the Curve exists because the Geometry output is generated at the one and only point that exists in the Curve Asset.
But I can't add any more points or edit them because the Editor is invisible.

Yes, I'm using the Curve 1.0 version SOP, not the unsupported version.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
12 posts
The issue was with the default Shaders that come with the plugin. Go to the Plugin Settings and modify the C# file for the Scripts throwing the warnings to get them access your own Shaders.
スタッフ
544 posts
Hi,

The issue was likely caused by some of the plugin's URP/HDRP shaders not being present in the plugin's package that ships with the installer.
The github version of the plugin had those - but they were not in the installer.

I fixed the unitypackage in H20.5.340 - so you should no longer need to modify the shaders.
12 posts
Hello, thank you for fixing it!

Do you know how I can update the plugin though? Because I can't find an option in the Houdini Launcher.

Also, I have a separate bug to report with another HDA that is likely related to this issue, should I continue with it on this post, create a new post or message you?
スタッフ
1268 posts
Varun_studentaccount
Do you know how I can update the plugin though? Because I can't find an option in the Houdini Launcher.

You should be able to upgrade the Unity plugin in the Houdini Launcher:
  1. In the Launcher, select Engine Plug-Inson the left hand side.
  2. If the Unity plug-in is already installed, then you should see an installed entry for it. Click on the gear icon menu button to the right of the entry and choose Modify.
  3. In the Unity Plug-In Modification Dialog, change the version in the Versionfield and then click Modifyto proceed with the upgrade.

Varun_studentaccount
Also, I have a separate bug to report with another HDA that is likely related to this issue, should I continue with it on this post, create a new post or message you?

I recommend posting in a new forum thread since it's a separate issue. A new forum thread will also have more visibility to the user community.

Cheers,
Rob
12 posts
rvinluan
change the version in the Versionfield and then click Modify
Hello Rob!

I did exactly that, however, I don't find the option for the H20.5.340 version that dpernuit mentioned in his answer. I have installed the 20.5.332 version for now, I will let you know if it works.

Thank you for your attention to this issue

Attachments:
HEngine Version Screenshot.png (19.8 KB)

12 posts
Varun_studentaccount
I have installed the 20.5.332 version for now, I will let you know if it works.
It still isn't working right out of the box.

What's different from last time is that:
1) The Curve Editor DOES show up when I create a new Curve asset, however, when I add a single point to the Curve, the Editor goes into an infinite loop of printing errors and warnings (screenshot) which slows down the Engine, and after that, it doesn't let me add or edit points for the Curve with the Curve Editor
2) None of my previous HDAs are now working, the Geometry doesn't load. Previously, with the fresh install, it would at least load the Geometry with the Pink default Unity Shader that indicates a missing Material.

Attachments:
HEngine Fresh Install Errors.png (647.2 KB)

12 posts
Varun_studentaccount
The Curve Editor DOES show up when I create a new Curve asset
Well, even that stopped working. I think I will use my own version of the 20.5.278 Plugin for now :/

I even tried the GitHub version on this link: https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnity [github.com]
But even that doesn't work right out of the box.
Edited by Varun_studentaccount - 2024年9月14日 11:05:54
スタッフ
544 posts
Hi,

It seems like there is some confusion here:
The fix for the shaders was in 20.5.340 - so any version after it has the shaders - previous won't.
So by installing 332 - you got a version before the fix - back to the original problem of missing shaders.

Just tried on my end by installing 20.5.359 today - and got no issues on my end with curves (tried unity2022.3 - but I doubt this issue would be related to Unity versions)
12 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

So by installing 332 - you got a version before the fix - back to the original problem of missing shaders.

Just tried on my end by installing 20.5.359 today - and got no issues on my end with curves (tried unity2022.3 - but I doubt this issue would be related to Unity versions)

As I previously mentioned, neither the Launcher nor the SideFX website, nor the GitHub link let me install 340

I tried it with 357 too, the Houdini Launcher lets me install 332 of Houdini but 357 of the plugin, so Houdini Engine doesn't work with 332 because of the mismatch. 278 and 332 are the only versions where I have matching versions available.
Edited by Varun_studentaccount - 2024年9月16日 18:05:13
12 posts
I have attached a screenshot earlier of the versions the Launcher allows me to install
12 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

It seems like there is some confusion here:
The fix for the shaders was in 20.5.340 - so any version after it has the shaders - previous won't.

Hello, so I checked today, and the Launcher had matching versions for the Houdini Daily Build 20.5.362 and the Unity Plugin 20.5.362

I installed both and tried today and the Shaders worked right out of the box, however, the Curve Editor does not work right out of the box. The Curve Editor UI does not pop up when a Curve is created.

Thanks for your time

EDIT: I copied the Shaders from the 362 Plugin into my working version (where I managed to make the Curve Editor work) of the 278 Plugin and now the Default Shaders also work in 278.
Edited by Varun_studentaccount - 今日 10:57:42
  • Quick Links