Issue with Landscape Tiling from Houdini to Unreal - Gaps

528   2   0
1 posts
Hello,

I'm currently transferring a large landscape from Houdini to Unreal Engine following a tutorial (link: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/procedural-desert/). However, after importing the landscape into Unreal, there are visible gaps between the tiles.

Details:

Total Landscape Size: 32,264
Tile Setup: I’m splitting the landscape into an 8x8 grid, which gives me individual tiles of 4,033x4,033 (as recommended in the Unreal Engine documentation).
In the Heightfield Tile Split node, my settings are as follows:

Tile Lower Overlap: 0
Tile Upper Overlap: 1
Despite these settings, there are still gaps between the tiles in Unreal Engine after the import.

Unreal 5.4.3
Houdini 20.5.332

Any advice on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
スタッフ
21 posts
I don't remember all of the details on this tutorials setup, but I think it was based on UE4s World Composition, and there was even a labs tool that supported it. But now this type of workflow would be replaced with Unreal 5s World Partition system.

And what you can do it take your tiles and use a Heightfield Project and project it back onto a 32,264 heightield and import that as your landscape. And then follow the Houdini Engine docs World Partition setup to get this nicely partitioned in your level. https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/unreal/worldpartition/worldpartition.html [www.sidefx.com]
1 posts
The issue of visible gaps between landscape tiles in Unreal Engine is often caused by a mismatch in the tiling or blending settings during the import process. In your case, setting the Tile Lower Overlap to 0 and Tile Upper Overlap to 1 may be causing gaps between tiles. Try adjusting the overlap settings for both to ensure seamless tiling. Additionally, double-check that the tile size and export settings from Houdini match Unreal Engine’s recommended values for landscape tiles, particularly in how edges are blended.
  • Quick Links