Reference scene data. How does it work?

363   3   0
133 posts
And again the mysterious Houdini interface.
So, I decided to use the advertised method from the help and fill the parameter field not manually, but through a reference to a point. And I couldn’t. I have a grid and a transform. Let’s fill the parameter with the point data.
1) Go to the menu - reference - grid - attributes - point. Houdini offers to select a point. But it is impossible to select it.
2) Maybe this only works for the current node? Ok. We repeat reference - transform - attributes - point. Great, this time we can select a point, the parameters are filled, but an error is burning, ahahaha, Houdini.
3) Maybe an appeal to local attributes will help us? Well, the parameter was filled with something meaningless for hscript @P.

Is there anyone on the planet who understands what’s going on here and can explain it to me? What did I do wrong? What did the developers mean?
Here is the description from the help:

"Right click the parameter you want to reference another parameter and choose Reference ▸ Scene Data.

In the chooser window, use the tree control to open the branch representing the node containing the parameter you want to reference. Then, under the node open the Attributes branch. Then open the Points, Primitives,

Select the attribute and click Accept.

If you specified a point, primitive, or vertex attribute, Houdini switches to selection mode in the viewport. Select the point, primitive, or vertex you want to read the attribute value from, then press Enter.

This feature builds a point, /network/prim.html, or vertex expression for you that references the attribute on the specified geometry."

Attachments:
bandicam 2024-09-06 21-56-43-576.mp4 (3.3 MB)

108 posts
I'm unable to reproduce your first example where you aren't able to select a point. It works perfectly fine for me on 20.5.343. If updating to a newer build doesn't help then log a bug.

I wouldn't expect the second and third example to work at all because of infinite recursion, did you check the error message?
133 posts
freshbaked

Thanks for the answer. If it works for you, then I had to investigate the problem more thoroughly in search of a solution.
So, neither in opengl, nor in vulkan, does the selection of points work for me when selecting a link. BUT! If you enable the selectable template flag, then you can select the points. Ahaha, guys from sidefx, your amazing puzzles do not let me get bored.
By the way, there is the same error in snapping. Sometimes snapping stops working and then enabling the template flag on the previous node helps. That is, it sees the template geometry, but not the current one. Apparently, these problems have the same root.
So guys, if some selection or snapping does not work for you, then try enabling the template or selected template flag on the previous node. I think there will be no fix in the coming years, so use the life hack.

Attachments:
bandicam 2024-09-07 13-42-01-277.mp4 (1.6 MB)

285 posts
To test this objectively it should be demonstrated in vanilla build, I'm not sure, but maybe it is a consequence of some plugin in your system. I also confirm that it works without setting additional flags on nodes in 20.5.350 and 20.0.751 in the vanilla build.
Edited by alexwheezy - 2024年9月7日 09:04:22
  • Quick Links