- Windows 10 (64 bit)
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server (any version) is NOT supported.
Mac OS X: Requires:
- Requires 64-bit Intel-based Mac with OSX 10.10.2 and higher
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (64-bit)
- Debian 7.0+ (64-bit)
- RHEL 6+ (64-bit)
- Fedora 16+ (64-bit)
- Open SUSE 12.1+ (64-bit)
- CentOS 6+ (64-bit)
- Mint 13+ (64-bit)
gcc 4.8 is required.
>> VFX Reference Platform
Note: 32-bit windows and linux are no longer supported
All platforms require administrator privileges to install.
- 4 GB required
- 64bit Operating System required
- 8 GB or higher and 64bit strongly recommended for fluid simulations
- Recent generation
- 64-bit AMD or Intel processor (requires SSE or higher) 64-bit required
- SSE 4.2 support is required
- Houdini supports MMX and Streaming SIMD (SSE2) where present
- 2GB required for installation
- 3 Button mouse required
- Scroll wheel used where present
- Wacom tablet recommended for Houdini's brush-based tools
A GL3.3 compliant graphics card is required. GL4.0+ is highly recommended.
2GB VRAM or more is required. Less than this can result in display errors such as blank windows. High DPI displays (4K, 5K) or multiple monitors require a minimum of 4GB.
Graphics card must support OpenCL version 1.2.
It is VERY important that you install the latest driver for your graphics card. Failing to do so may result in display issues and/or slow performance:
- NVidia: 378.66 or higher (don't use 376.xx - you'll have slow performance and crashes)
- AMD: 17.Q1 or higher
- Intel 10.18.10.3958 or higher.
We don't recommend any specific computer manufacturer. As long as your machine has the recommended RAM, CPU, graphics card, and VRAM, it should be acceptable for use.
- Minimum resolution: 1024 x 768; Recommended resolution: 1920 x 1200 (widescreen).
- 2GB VRAM or higher required for dual displays or single displays greater than 1920x1080.
- 4GB of VRAM (or higher) required for High DPI displays such as 4K and 5K (3840x2160, 5120x2880)
- Color depth of 32-bit (“true color”) required.
- We recommend you either select sRGB as your color profile or calibrate your monitor to gamma 2.2.
- On certain graphics cards, Houdini can use the GPU to dramatically increase the performance and speed of your Pyro FX and Fluid simulations.
- In order to take advantage of this capability, you'll need a GPU capable of supporting OpenCL. Refer to the Supported Graphics Cards page.
- The amount of VRAM your GPU has access to will limit the size of simulation that you can run on it. 4GB + is ideal for larger simulations.
- GPU acceleration currently does NOT make use of multiple OpenCL devices (i.e. two or more graphics cards) but this may change at a future date.
3rd Party Dependencies
- Sound card and speakers/headset required for audio
- Class C network (TCP/IP) recommended for local access licenses
- Network support required for offline simulation, batch processing and rendering
- Internet browser required for connection to www.sidefx.com (Houdini Forum)
- Video encoder required for creating AVI/QT/etc.