Texturing Help

2323   6   1
16 posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm still fairly new using Houdini and getting use to the workflow. I found a 3D model online and I wanted to use it in Houdini. It's initially a 3DS Max file and I know I can convert it to an .OBJ, but how do I get all the textures loaded onto in Houdini? I've attached the 3D model with its components as reference.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments:
588_legacyISD(MAX6).rar (6.2 MB)

184 posts
Since it's a Max file you'd probably want to export it as an FBX rather than OBJ, as it'll preserve the materials.

That said, opening the file in Max, it's an old format, and it uses a dozen plugins (missing DLLs), from Brazil to Greebles - which may account for a lot of geometry, so the model may not even look like the renders you've seen and some/all materials are probably FBX incompatible.

It's also badly modelled, or at least not modelled for moving to other applications. 448 primitive groups, all named Box001…Box002…etc.

Honestly, I think you'd save time and have something more useful at the end just modelling it (or at least re-texturing it) from scratch.
16 posts
Sounds good, thank you for the response!

I've loaded another model through FBX and all the materials have nodes, which is exactly what I wanted. But how do I assign the texture map to each of the materials? I looked around and I couldn't find it..
184 posts
Just assign textures to relevant material Map channels (i.e. diffuse), as you would in any 3D app.

More on how FBX files here:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/io/fbx [sidefx.com]

(look under Materials subheading for supported features)
16 posts
Thanks for the response.

Everything seems to work now, however there is one more problem I'm getting. For some reason when I render I see these black circles on the geometry. The locations of the black circles are exactly where the lights are on the ship, any reason why it's doing that?

Look at the two pictures, the viewport looks fine but the render has the circles..

Attachments:
Textures_SWTOR Sith Fury.zip (23.5 MB)
falconone.FBX.hip (1.7 MB)
render.jpg (470.0 KB)
viewport.jpg (558.0 KB)

483 posts
Maybe Point Rendering is active?
Please have a look at the Geometry -> Geometry Tab.
Check this Tab for all your Geo Nodes.

Attachments:
point-render.png (32.7 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
16 posts
matthias_k

I forgot to post this earlier but yes that was the solution the problem! I found it earlier while looking Houdini's documentation, but thank you for the quick response!
  • Quick Links