is there any difference in converting rat textures?

3392   2   0
303 posts
Hi
I know convert textures to rat format will speed up rendering, but here's some question:

1.does rat texture is mip-map?
2.official way is use icp command to convert .rat textures,is it the same result if I use rop file output in comp to save out .rat files?
thank you very much!
https://vimeo.com/user3971456/videos [vimeo.com]
333 posts
1. yes.
2. yes, it should be.

note:

if you get gamma issues with converting jpgs to rat or exr to rat, just use option: iconvert -g off. iconvert will do some auto gamma correction when converting from a non linear to linear format i think.

difference from icp to iconvert:
icp:
copies an image, or a portion thereof, from the inimage image to the outimage.

iconvert:
Converts an image of one type to another type. The type is determined by the extension on the file.

For Batch convert:
if you want to batch convert all images in your scene from a shelf script with one click, there is an old plugin called Ratify on the old Houdini Exchange. It is not on orbolt unfortunately and will need to have one of the lines adjusted. But it is a very handy script when you have a big scene with 100+ textures and want to convert all of them to rat. imagine changing all endings from .png to .rat by hand.

It is sad that such things are not implemented from Sidefx, it would be a great function to have in the preflight scene manager.
303 posts
Doudini
1. yes.
2. yes, it should be.

note:

if you get gamma issues with converting jpgs to rat or exr to rat, just use option: iconvert -g off. iconvert will do some auto gamma correction when converting from a non linear to linear format i think.

difference from icp to iconvert:
icp:
copies an image, or a portion thereof, from the inimage image to the outimage.

iconvert:
Converts an image of one type to another type. The type is determined by the extension on the file.

For Batch convert:
if you want to batch convert all images in your scene from a shelf script with one click, there is an old plugin called Ratify on the old Houdini Exchange. It is not on orbolt unfortunately and will need to have one of the lines adjusted. But it is a very handy script when you have a big scene with 100+ textures and want to convert all of them to rat. imagine changing all endings from .png to .rat by hand.

It is sad that such things are not implemented from Sidefx, it would be a great function to have in the preflight scene manager.

great answer, thank you very much!
https://vimeo.com/user3971456/videos [vimeo.com]
  • Quick Links