GameDevelopmentToolSet not working

2248   6   0
51 posts
I tried to install the GameDevelopmentToolSet and am getting an error. Installation seams straight forward

my .env
HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/Users/NathanApffel/Documents/GameDevelopmentToolset;&"

any ideas?

thanks
Edited by Nathan Apffel - Oct. 10, 2017 18:04:03
7762 posts
That looks correct. What's the error?
51 posts
Turns out the error was from something else(and extra . Now it's failing silently when I load Houdini. The GameDevelopmentToolset shelf isn't available and none of its hda's are installed. I think everything is correct. the files are in my Documents folder(see attachment). I don't know if there could be a conflict with something in houdini.env. here is my .env

#
# Houdini Environment Settings
#
# The contents of this file are read into the environment
# at startup.  They will override any existing entries in
# the environment.
#
# The syntax is one entry per line as follows:
#    VAR = VALUE
#
# Values may be quoted
#    VAR = "VALUE"
# Values may be empty
#    VAR = 
# Example:
#
# HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 1

HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2

PATH = "C:/Users/NathanApffel/Documents/houdini16.0/octane/bin;C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH"

HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/Users/NathanApffel/Documents/GameDevelopmentToolset;C:/Users/NathanApffel/Documents/houdini16.0/octane;C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;&"

QLIB=CUsers/NathanApffel/Documents/houdini16.0/qLib-dev
QOTL=$QLIB/otls
HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH = $QOTL/base;$QOTL/future;$QOTL/experimental;@/otls
HOUDINI_GALLERY_PATH = $QLIB/gallery;@/gallery
HOUDINI_TOOLBAR_PATH = $QLIB/toolbar;@/toolbar
HOUDINI_SCRIPT_PATH = $QLIB/scripts;@/scripts

Not sure what is wrong but its still not installed.

thanks

Attachments:
Capture.jpg (28.4 KB)

7762 posts
Putting octane in your houdini16.0 folder might do strange things, since the user folder is added automatically. Adding a subfolder could be causing recursion. Did it work without the octane lines in your path?
51 posts
thanks for the reply. I removed the octane lines still not working. Would you suggest putting the octane files in mydocuments instead?

thanks.
7762 posts
The houdini.env file in the tool kit conflicts with the one in your home directory. You need to delete it before using the tool kit. Since it is a git repo, it is best to copy out the actual files into a non-source controlled area, and then add that new location to your path. Modifying the repo itself is inadvisable since it will make pulling more complicated.
Edited by jsmack - Oct. 12, 2017 01:44:12

Attachments:
gamedev_repo.png (63.1 KB)

51 posts
jsmack, thanks for the reply. this is so weird. I removed the .env file that came with the toolset, in case of conflict. still doesn't work. also i'm just downloading the zip from github and i've renamed the folder that is in my documents. Now when you refer to my “home folder” do you mean the houdini16.0 folder that is in my documents folder which is the one that contains the houidini.env? because in textport if i echo $HOME i get my documents folder.

Also why does the screen grab you provided have a hip and toolbar folder? the download from github does not contain these folders.
  • Quick Links