Nvidia Optix denoise doesn't work when using 'Render to disk' on images planes

6248   4   0
16 posts
I've been playing with the new Nvidia Optix denoising in H17. It works just fine in IPR and I've set my image planes to use denoise as a pixel filter. When rendering to MPLAY then saving to disk my AOVs are denoised, but if I use ‘Render to disk’ the AOVs aren't denoised. Please advise as we'd like to start using this in production. Thanks.
Staff
440 posts
Hi. If you're declaring the AOVs via “extra image planes” interface, please make sure their pixel filter type is inherited from the main image or set to OptiX denoiser as well. Please note that utility AOVs such as N and P planes will not be denoised. Helper albedo plane (specified via “-a” option in the pixel filter) won't be denoised either. Also, I'd suggest increasing the render verbosity (anything above 0) so that more information is output if denoising fails for whatever reason.
If all else fails, please post your .hip file here, or please file a bug.
16 posts
As I said, It works when I render to mplay, but not when I render to disk. I have both the pixel filter and the image plane pixel filter set to optix

Attachments:
denoise.mantra_ipr.0001.exr (12.1 MB)
denoise.hipnc (504.0 KB)

Staff
440 posts
I can't reproduce the issue on my end - are you sure the hip file you attached is the one you used? (It doesn't have any renderable camera in the scene) Also, please note that when mantra renders to disk, denoiser is applied on the output files as a post process - so if you open/copy exr file before it had a chance to write denoised image, you may see the image before denoising. Please use the render scheduler window to make sure that mantra process is no longer running before inspecting the result.

Also, please try increasing the render verbosity and see if there are any errors or warnings relating to optix, denoiser, or cuda.
16 posts
It seems to be working. I guess I wasn't waiting long enough for the post process to finish. Thanks.
  • Quick Links