Hi, I have a question about UV of Houdini.

2010   6   0
45 posts
Hi, I have a question about UV of Houdini. I stored vector properties into UV and found that Z value of UV was not exported and could not be read in visualization.
The appended drawings:
Edited by chrism - July 30, 2019 12:00:42

Attachments:
v4.png (3.5 MB)
v1.png (361.3 KB)
v2.png (135.7 KB)
v3.png (86.4 KB)
uv_test.hip (75.4 KB)

7981 posts
FBX is a Maya thing, which doesn't use 3 channel UV maps. They get converted to 2 channel on export. Color sets can be used to export arbitrary 3 channel vector data instead.
45 posts
jsmack
FBX is a Maya thing, which doesn't use 3 channel UV maps. They get converted to 2 channel on export. Color sets can be used to export arbitrary 3 channel vector data instead.
Thanks for your answer, but I stored the vector property in the color property, and finally found that the value of the color cannot be less than 0 or greater than 1 when exporting.I don't know what other properties on the vertices of the model can store vector properties.
7981 posts
I don't think the export limits the range of color properties, unless the FBX spec itself limits it. Otherwise it should allow for raw 32bit floats.

Is it possible to avoid the FBX format? It really is one of the worst.
159 posts
you can use Houdini Engine to export the mesh directly to Unity, which supports up to 4 channels per uv.
45 posts
EricSheng
you can use Houdini Engine to export the mesh directly to Unity, which supports up to 4 channels per uv.
Thank you very much. That's a good idea.I tested this method, which can store four values, and was very satisfied
45 posts
jsmack
I don't think the export limits the range of color properties, unless the FBX spec itself limits it. Otherwise it should allow for raw 32bit floats.

Is it possible to avoid the FBX format? It really is one of the worst.
Yes, maybe it's the FBX format that limits the output. The above method solved my problem and I ended up importing the model into Unity.
Edited by vfx_yFan - July 29, 2019 21:53:04
  • Quick Links