will houdini consider adopting the new C4D/blender like UI?

13719   40   5
4642 posts
citizen
Lots of good suggestions here, but I'd like to also see some improvements in functionality, like a better Hotkey system and editor. The option to make some hotkeys/tools transient, like snapping, which I use very frequently and I find perplexing that the devs decided this is a feature that's best suited for a radial menu instead of a transient hotkey. Radial menus are a great option to have, but it's not optimal in every situation, so a more robust hotkey system can only increase the customization capabilities, which is much better than trying to please everyone's workflow.

Transient keys are useful. In the meantime, if you want to implement your own solution, you can use setVolatileKeys function for the network editor. I don't know the equivalent for the viewport, possibly Python states.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/hou/NetworkEditor.html#setVolatileKeys [www.sidefx.com]

Using this API, I implemented a context sensitive rule based hotkey system. Ideally the default hotkey system should allow this sort of customization but extreme hotkey users are probably in minority for SESI to take on this challenge.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links