Sidefx Labs for UE5.1

3393   8   1
2 posts
Hi all ,

I'm trying to use sidefx labs for UE5 with UE5.1 (Fluids VAT) but seems not to work correctly , is there a release for UE5.1 or some settings to get it work correctly ?

Thanks
8 posts
I was able to get it to work with 5.1 but I believe I had to get a new release from their github https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal [github.com]

However, the building generator would not work properly...it would not take any patterns input so I basically got a block.
2 posts
sarrett
I was able to get it to work with 5.1 but I believe I had to get a new release from their github https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal [github.com]

However, the building generator would not work properly...it would not take any patterns input so I basically got a block.

New here. But that looks like that is not the plugin for SideFX Labs. Is there a github repo? I think that is the one we need to get the script menu to actually make use of Vertex Animations from Houdini?
2 posts
I still dont understand why there is no UE5.1 full compatibility yet.
5 posts
I will say, one advantage of Unreal's 5.2 PCG network has over Houdini is that it, er, exists.

Is SideFX planning to update the Unreal Houdini plugin versioning beyond 5.0? I'm sad to lose it, but there are only so many old versions of large projects I can keep around, and the process of migrating HDA generated assets out from an increasingly dated 5.0 project is not easy.
Edited by Ooghe - April 12, 2023 10:41:06
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

If you're referring to the Houdini Engine plugin, we've been supporting 5.1 (and now also 5.2) for a while now.
We generally support new versions of UE a few days after the offical release.

What has changed with UE5 however, is that we now use the same source code for all UE5 versions (to limit the amount of backport that we need to do for each commit in the plugin).
So there will be no 5.1 / 5.2 / 5.3 branches on git for now, as indicated by the first line on the git repo:

"The source code in this branch is intended to be used with Unreal Engine 5.0 and 5.1"

and the release page on git also has binaries for the newer versions of UE:
https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal/releases/tag/v2.0.17 [github.com]

and so does your Houdini install.

For the SideFX Labs issues mentionned above, have you submitted bugs for these?
That's the best way to inform the Labs team of an issue with one of their tool.
2 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

If you're referring to the Houdini Engine plugin, we've been supporting 5.1 (and now also 5.2) for a while now.

What has changed with UE5 however, is that we now use the same source code for all UE5 versions (to limit the amount of backport that we need to do for each commit in the plugin).
So there will be no 5.1 / 5.2 / 5.3 branches on git for now, as indicated by the first line on the git repo:

"The source code in this branch is intended to be used with Unreal Engine 5.0 and 5.1"

and the release page on git also has binaries for the newer versions of UE:
https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal/releases/tag/v2.0.17 [github.com]

and so does your Houdini install.

For the SideFX Labs issues mentionned above, have you submitted bugs for these?
That's the best way to inform the Labs team of an issue with one of their tool.
There is no release of sidefx labs for UE5.1 yet
5 posts

Thank you! My apologies, I had been confused by an earlier visit to the Binaries link whaich had not worked (I now see I'd need to build 5.2, but I'll hold off for now). I had forgotten that I can get the 5.1 from Houdini Install, and that seems to work fine for now. Much appreciated!
1 posts
what about Houdini engine indie for unreal 5.3 via steam?
  • Quick Links