Houdini Color Schemes

11418   20   3
679 posts
Hey Everybody,

I thought it might be a good idea to share Houdini Color Schemes. So I share a theme I call MODINI as it is ínspired by Modo.
simply place both files in your Houdini User folder/config folder and switch the color scheme to MODINI under color settings. Also, switch to the grey background under Display settings.

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - Dec. 9, 2021 11:31:26

Attachments:
3DSceneColors.bw (7.6 KB)
MODINI.hcs (39.2 KB)
MODINI_Screenshot.jpg (618.1 KB)

710 posts
Nice color scheme CYTE! I know how much of a pain those can be to edit.
138 posts
Houdini really needs to update the overall ui to modern.
4521 posts
That's really cool CYTE! Normally I prefer darker but this looks very easy on the eyes. Will give it a go
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
105 posts
CYTE
Hey Everybody,

I thought it might be a good idea to share Houdini Color Schemes. So I share a theme I call MODINI as it is ínspired by Modo.
simply place both files in your Houdini User folder/config folder and switch the color scheme to MODINI under color settings. Also, switch to the grey background under Display settings.

Cheers
CYTE
Very nice, good job, not enough dark IMHO, but good job
- David
4 posts
Just uploaded some flat themes to Github to be easier on the eyes: Github link [github.com]

Edited by quryo - Oct. 15, 2022 10:27:56

Attachments:
UIDarkFlat_NodeGraph.inc (7.4 KB)
UIDarkFlat.hcs (33.1 KB)
UIDarkFlat_NodeGraphCommon.inc (6.6 KB)
UIFlat_basic_colors.inc (637 bytes)
UILightFlat.hcs (33.5 KB)
UILightFlat_NodeGraph.inc (7.0 KB)
UILightFlat_NodeGraphCommon.inc (6.6 KB)
dark_crop.png (118.5 KB)
light_crop.png (121.9 KB)

105 posts
quryo
Just uploaded some flat themes to Github to be easier on the eyes: Github link [github.com]

Image Not Found

Image Not Found
Thanks
- David
7 posts
Here it is my version of the above shared "UIDarkFlat" theme by quryo combined with one of the oldest Houdini flat theme, the "Slate", and I call it "EtanFX".
Of course I recolored the whole and also added comments for the most relevant parts of the scheme to find and identify them more easily (here are a few screenshot) and I really thank you guys for sharing your very aesthetic Houdini themes!
(Updated)
Edited by belala - Sept. 12, 2023 05:59:50

Attachments:
EtanFX-UI-Screenshot.jpg (480.6 KB)
EtanFX.7z (15.0 KB)

76 posts
@belala
Hey! Very nice theme. The only critique I have is that the sliders' indigo color is a bit jarring and the active tab of the parameters window seems "inverted" and found myself confused a few times (darker gray seems more appropriate to inactive tab).
I'm going to hunt down these to change them, but until I do that, for time saving sake, can you please tell me which line/s are controlling these?
Thanks!
7 posts
@citizen
Hi, you are lucky, after half an hour to track down those lines I finally found the necessary strings, you can use these new color codes or any others you like. Cheers!

SliderTopBorder: DRKBASE // slider border
SliderBottomBorder: DRKBASE // slider border

GroupHeaderHi0: DRKMID2 // active tab lower over
GroupHeaderHiTop0: DRKMID2 // active tab upper over
GroupHeaderOpen0: DRKMID2 // active tab lower
GroupHeaderOpenTop0: DRKMID2 // active tab upper

ButtonNonActiveGradLow: DRKBASE // inactive tab lower
Edited by belala - Aug. 16, 2023 16:45:28
679 posts
Hey,

does anybody know where to change the color/alpha of the ruler numbers?

Cheers
CYTE

edit: Nevermind found it. If anybody is wondering. add these lines to your color config file:

GridXRulerColor: 1 1 1 # reference grid x ruler color
GridYRulerColor: 1 1 1 # reference grid y ruler color
GridZRulerColor: 1 1 1 # reference grid z ruler color
GridLineAlpha: ALPHA 1 # alpha of ref plane grid lines
Edited by CYTE - Oct. 4, 2023 03:37:05

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-10-04 092636.jpg (16.7 KB)

7 posts
Hey Cyte!

Would you be so kind and also find me a very disgusting green line what I hate so much around the Render View (and which is found at least 3 place in Houdini). The one I've never found to change its value, you can see in the picture below (I've spent hours to find it without any results).

I would really appreciate your mission in regard this hard work because as I can see, you are a very Talented Houdini Element Hunter & Finder in the Color Scheme section!

Thanks a lot!
Edited by belala - Oct. 19, 2023 05:25:49

Attachments:
render-view-green-line.jpg (45.3 KB)

Staff
6219 posts
It is very nice to see cool colour schemes being built despite the clunkiness of the current system.

As for the green line, I'm afraid I must report that colour isn't actually part of the schema :cry:

if(myViewport->manager()->getViewportBorders())
    {
        if(myViewport->manager()->isCurrentPort(myViewport->getPortIndex()))
            r->setColor(UI_Color(UT_RGB, 0.0F, 0.6F, 0.0F));
        else
            r->setColor(UI_GREY20);

r->rect2DS(x, y, x+w-1, y+h-1);
    }

I've submitted Bug: 132255 regarding this, as we do not like such hard coded colours.
679 posts
@jlait
Hi, I have a question regarding configuring color schemes:
I'm looking for the colors that define the Motion FX View.
I worked a lot with CHOPS recently and couldn't find anything related
to the Motion FX View in any config file. Do you know where these are stored?

Cheers
CYTE
7 posts
Hey Cyte,
have you got answer for your question from SOP about the whereabouts of the Motion FX colors? I am also curious...

...and how many years do you think it will take to implement a bug fix? One or two? I saw the latest release, 20, and that hideous green line is still there, but I wanted to change my render engine to Karma, but since that line is so hideous, I cannot do it the way I wanted, so I'm using Redshift instead of Karma because of this, and it also appears in the Motion FX section... brrr...

SideFX definitely needs a proper UI designer, this ugly UI style is untenable and is driving new users away from Houdini!
Edited by belala - Nov. 15, 2023 17:35:46
7794 posts
belala
Hey Cyte,
have you got answer for your question from SOP about the whereabouts of the Motion FX colors? I am also curious...

...and how many years do you think it will take to implement a bug fix? One or two? I saw the latest release, 20, and that hideous green line is still there, but I wanted to change my render engine to Karma, but since that line is so hideous, I cannot do it the way I wanted, so I'm using Redshift instead of Karma because of this, and it also appears in the Motion FX section... brrr...

SideFX definitely needs a proper UI designer, this ugly UI style is untenable and is driving new users away from Houdini!

lol what green line? I don't see any green lines.
7 posts
jsmack,
you are right, it is not in the Motion Fx window, but next to it, in the Composite View.. OK. And also in the MPlayer... brrr...

But the Motion Fx section has a full black background and you cannot change that. Do you know, how soul-destroying to see a full black window (color code: 0 0 0) all day long..? brrr... Can you see those? Well, I am talking about them. Do you know the color code of the toilet? It is 0 0 too, so you can imagine, how I feel sometimes.
Edited by belala - Nov. 15, 2023 18:09:42
7794 posts
belala
jsmack,
you are right, it is not in the Motion Fx window, but next to it, in the Composite View.. OK. And also in the MPlayer... brrr...

But the Motion Fx section has a full black background and you cannot change that. Do you know, how soul-destroying to see a full black window (color code: 0 0 0) all day long..? brrr... Can you see those? Well, I am talking about them. Do you know the color code of the toilet? It is 0 0 too, so you can imagine, how I feel sometimes.

The color code of a toilet is 1 1 1 in my experience
1 posts
Houdini User folder/config folder and switch the color scheme to MODINI under color settings. Also, switch to the grey background under Display settings.
7 posts
If somebody looking for that aforementioned green line (some frames of the windows randomly) to change, from version 20 you can able to do that, this is that string in the .hcs files, with the default value of green:

ImageViewportBorderCurrent: 0.0 0.6 0.0

Thank you Jlait, it was fast!

Of course, there are still left a few hard coded 'incoherent' lines and text in the UI, but I am already very happy about that.

Cheers!
Edited by belala - Nov. 25, 2023 05:38:47
  • Quick Links