Houdini Engine for UE5: Geometry Collections setup

5084   9   3
3 posts
Hi,

I created a simple fracture test HDA to use in Houdini Engine within UE5, and I can't seem to get the Geometry Collection to work or bake properly.  When it bakes in Unreal, it becomes a group of meshes, the type is Actor, instead of a geometry collection, which has a type of GeometryCollectionActor.  I've added attributes from the Houdini Engine for Unreal webpage, https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_chaos_integration.html, [www.sidefx.com] and packed the fractured pieces, however that doesn't seem to make a difference.  Is there a specific attribute that will force it become a geometry collection actor? Do you have a Hip file that I can view to get a better idea of how to properly set up a geometry collection HDA? 

Thank you.
6 posts
I have the same problem.
I cant get it to work.
I managed to get it to work a few times in Unreal Engine 4 (chaos version). But sometimes on rebuild, it would not work.

Let me know if you find something. I'll share if I find something when I get back to trying it out.
3 posts
@dtlendvaj, Will do.
I'm taking a break from it for now, hoping that someone from SideFX will help out in the meantime.
3 posts
I have the same problem
6 posts
It seems like its an issue and looks like its being worked on:
https://discord.com/channels/230123485668573184/231834162376474624/973371091965841458 [discord.com]
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

That is correct, UE5.0 broke our GC / Chaos integration and I'm currently working on it.
I already fixed GC input last week, and I'm just about done fixing GC output in the plugin.
Likely, expect a fix for all of this in tomorrow's daily build.

As for example HDAs, you can find 3 them in the plugin's content (in Content\Examples\Chaos)
3 posts
Good to know. Thank you for the update!
3 posts
“unreal_gc_clustering_damage_threshold” This parameter doesn't seem to work??? Or am I using it incorrectly? ? ?
Edited by chasts - May 24, 2022 08:02:28

Attachments:
gc_cluster.png (29.9 KB)

75 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

That is correct, UE5.0 broke our GC / Chaos integration and I'm currently working on it.
I already fixed GC input last week, and I'm just about done fixing GC output in the plugin.

As for example HDAs, you can find 3 them in the plugin's content (in Content\Examples\Chaos)

Was this ever fixed? I am just checking. No matter how I match up my settings my objects simply fall through the map. I have tried using no attributes added out of Houdini HDA and the default settings are basically all the same settings as a regular fracture done in UE5.
- “spooky action at a distance”. Albert Einstein
2 posts
dpernuit
Hi,

I find the HDA example in Houdini Engine Plugin folder. It really works, but no matter how I'm trying to match the same attributes in My own HDA with the example HDA, It just Doesn't work. In Unreal It Became a Static Mesh rather than GeometryCollection. So how can we use this property?
Edited by quitesky663 - today 06:06:51
  • Quick Links