Help with ambient occlusion in solaris

1984   6   5
361 posts
Hey guys, anybody had any luck using AO maps in solaris using either VEX or MTLx? I haven't been able to get either the VEX nor the materialX occlusion nodes to work. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
1766 posts
Yes with CPU, no with XPU.

I've attached both vex and matx setups that work with CPU. I understand and expect the vex one to not work with XPU, but I don't understand why the matx one fails with XPU.

Attachments:
lops_ao.hip (142.7 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
361 posts
mestela
Yes with CPU, no with XPU.

I've attached both vex and matx setups that work with CPU. I understand and expect the vex one to not work with XPU, but I don't understand why the matx one fails with XPU.
Thanks a lot Matt. Hopefully it gets implemented into XPU soon!
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
117 posts
No, it hasn't been implemented yet. Luckily I came across this post. Would have never suspected that as the solution.
149 posts
hope it will be supported in 20.5...
53 posts
The keynote says it will be supported in 20.5

Attachments:
AO.JPG (35.7 KB)

117 posts
Anybody else prefering the ao from RS?

I have to set the max ao distance on the MtrlX node with a fit expression taking the frame into account. E.g. on frame 1 > distance 1m, frame 2 > distance 2m, frame 3 > distance 4m, frame 4 > distance 8m and so on. In Nuke I layer these renderings. Otherwise the falloff look really off. No chance to emphasize the areas close to cavities otherwise. This works for stills, but for anims not that much. Usually I'd use a pow expression to achieve this effect in post, but results don't look nice, since the falloff of the ao is kind of odd to what I'm used to.
  • Quick Links