Education licence: how to use Houdini Engine for Unreal

1379   5   0
1 posts
Hello everyone,
I am a student currently learning Houdini. I just bought the Education licence.
I need to load Houdini assets into Unreal 5.3.2. I understand Unreal can't read .hdanc files.
I have also installed the Houdini Engine for Unreal.

My question is: what is the proper workflow to move from Houdini Education to Unreal?

Thank you!
2 posts
Me too! Or is Houdini Engine not compatible with UE5.1+?

I've seen where other people have been able to use the engine with Unreal 5, but I haven't seen much for the most current versions of Unreal.
Staff
16 posts
Houdini Engine for Unreal works for all version of UE5. 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3.

Houdini Engine is also able to read `.hda` files from Core and FX. As well as `.hdalc` files from Indie licenses, and `.hdanc` from Education licenses. It is not able to read assets from Apprentice version of Houdini however.

See the compare page for more info. https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare/ [www.sidefx.com]
1 posts
I'm running into this same problem. I have the Education Edition of Houdini but when I load the .hdanc into UE it does not render anything. Is there anything I can check to ensure that everything is set up correctly?

Something I noticed that is a little suspicious is that if I open Houdini Engine -> Installation Info, under the License Type Acquired field it says "No License Acquired". I'm guessing this might have something to do with it, but I have no idea how to fix it.
Staff
7 posts
TAR_JustinGrant
I'm running into this same problem. I have the Education Edition of Houdini but when I load the .hdanc into UE it does not render anything. Is there anything I can check to ensure that everything is set up correctly?

Something I noticed that is a little suspicious is that if I open Houdini Engine -> Installation Info, under the License Type Acquired field it says "No License Acquired". I'm guessing this might have something to do with it, but I have no idea how to fix it.
A license is not acquired until you start a session or instantiate an HDA in your level.
Staff
1185 posts
Does anyone have the free Houdini Engine for Unreal/Unity installed? This a commercial license that will interfere with education licenses. What happens is that when you open up Unreal it finds the commercial license then when you load an education asset it is rejected because those files aren't allow in commercial software.

Get rid of the free Houdini Engine for Unreal/Unity and then your education license will be used for the HE for Unreal and the .hdanc file will be accepted.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links