Houdini 20.5 is out for grab!

6274   49   4
279 posts
They just released 20.5 on the download page, first thing I will test is XPU on my RTX 4070 TI Super graphics card!
Edited by GCharb - July 10, 2024 13:04:26
36 posts
I have crashes with Copernicus, connecting a sop import with a rasterize geo cop. Where can I report this?
https://behance.net/derya [behance.net]
279 posts
Yader
I have crashes with Copernicus, connecting a sop import with a rasterize geo cop. Where can I report this?

Submit Bugs - SideFX [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by GCharb - July 10, 2024 14:12:31
279 posts
I rendered the Billowy Cloud scene from the Content Library with XPU, with default settings and 1024 samples...

H20.0 - 9m 38s
H20.5 - 6m 30s

My specs...

Linux Mint 21.3
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores
128 GB of DDR4 @3200
Nvidia RTX 4070 TI Super

So far I can't see much of a difference with the Vulcan viewport, but it is on by default, I will test with a much larger scene, so far it looks pretty good, next, Copernicus...
Edited by GCharb - July 10, 2024 16:22:20

Attachments:
H20.0 Billowy Cloud 1024 samples 9m38s 5.97 GB.jpg (54.8 KB)
H20.5 Billowy Cloud 1024 samples 6m30s 5.22 GB.png-autosave.jpg (55.4 KB)

529 posts
MPM being a "SOP only" solver is quite a surprise. I know it's still DOPs under the hood, but it seems that SideFX is very serious about prioritizing SOP workflow.
62 posts
I am disappointed with the Vulkan viewport. On my simple laptop, the new sculpting is twice as fast using OpenGL instead of Vulkan
10 posts
The new clip sop is faaaast. WOW!
The labs team needs to update their Box Clip sop, to use this new clip sop instead along with its options like the fact that it has filling included
541 posts
Hooray and congratulations! I can't wait to test out Copernicus.

But holy cow, those requirements have gone up significantly. 12 GB VRAM for a dual-head setup, and the minimum of RTX 3080...? Goddamn. :o

But perhaps they're soft requirements? Has anyone tried launching 20.5 on an RTX 3070 in a dual-head config (preferably on GNU/Linux)? Or on a laptop with an RTX 3060? Oh boy, I just bought the thing — specifically with Houdini in mind.

I'm not able to test neither of those two setups ATM. But some info would at least give me the peace of mind.
373 posts
Enable APEX Character Deformation

When turned on, and the geometry being displayed contains a packed character scene with animation, the viewport evaluates the scene and displays the deformed characters' shapes. This can be used to view animated characters without entering the animate state or appending an APEX Scene Invoke SOP (see animation workflow for more information).

I was so excited for this. For one second. Then I immediately notice it's bugged when there is transparent material

But perhaps they're soft requirements? Has anyone tried launching 20.5 on an RTX 3070 in a dual-head config (preferably on GNU/Linux)? Or on a laptop with an RTX 3060?

Quite sure it's just suggested requirement. 3060 works fine for me. Actually APEX viewer state is much faster than H20 (but it's not that big an achievement, as H20's APEX state was so buggy once you start toggling selection set frequently...)

EDIT: Wow man, the new hotkey window sucks.
Edited by kodra - July 10, 2024 17:36:33
279 posts
I did a few more render tests with XPU ray-trace, and I must say that I am quite impressed, I rendered the first frame of the Camera Clouds scene from the Content Library, using the default settings, a Voxel Size of 3 for the clouds, and 512 samples...

H20.0 - 17m 47s
H20.5 - 7m 3s

Attachments:
CameraClouds.png (1.6 MB)

Staff
507 posts
GCharb
I did a few more render tests with XPU ray-trace

What driver are you on?
If you're on a 555+ driver, then you'll get the NVidia "Shader Execution Reordering" feature (new hardware in the ADA generation of GPUs)
279 posts
brians
GCharb

What driver are you on?
If you're on a 555+ driver, then you'll get the NVidia "Shader Execution Reordering" feature (new hardware in the ADA generation of GPUs)
I run 555.52.04, always the latest, on that last render I get a bit over 2.5X speed increase, very pleased with my little graphics card at the moment!
182 posts
In my test,the variance mode is slower than uniform mode.Why?And vulkan viewport also slower than opengl,i have to switch to opengl.
182 posts
brians
GCharb

What driver are you on?

Hi,we still don't have one option to delete or rename these presets.
Edited by wanglifu - July 10, 2024 19:05:06

Attachments:
aa.jpg (33.4 KB)

279 posts
wanglifu
Hi,we still don't have one option to delete or rename these presets.
What presets exactly?

Playing with sculpting at the moment, man this is cool, SideFX developers are completely mad, mad I tell ya!
279 posts
You can easily create sculpt layers by stacking nodes, in this example I created 2 layers, remeshgrid1 is set to .05, remeshgrid2 is set to .025, so each layer is remeshed and has its own level of details, works perfectly, sculpt data is passed down no problems, I am loving this, not a full-blown sculpting tool, but still pretty cool!
Edited by GCharb - July 10, 2024 20:18:06

Attachments:
Houdini 20.5 Sculpt Layers.png (79.0 KB)

350 posts
GCharb
I did a few more render tests with XPU ray-trace, and I must say that I am quite impressed, I rendered the first frame of the Camera Clouds scene from the Content Library, using the default settings, a Voxel Size of 3 for the clouds, and 512 samples...

H20.0 - 17m 47s
H20.5 - 7m 3s

What graphics card?
350 posts
GCharb
You can easily create sculpt layers by stacking nodes, in this example I created 2 layers, remeshgrid1 is set to .05, remeshgrid2 is set to .025, so each layer is remeshed and has its own level of details, works perfectly, sculpt data is passed down no problems, I am loving this, not a full-blown sculpting tool, but still pretty cool!

I’m running into annoyances with the sculpt tool. When I brush over, the brush seems to pause every second or so, then picks up, pauses, annoying interaction… not sure if this is a card issue or what….
279 posts
LukeP
What graphics card?

RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB VRAM

LukeP
I’m running into annoyances with the sculpt tool. When I brush over, the brush seems to pause every second or so, then picks up, pauses, annoying interaction… not sure if this is a card issue or what….

I just did a test and I went up to 5M polys with no issues, was pretty smooth with 5 layers, I run Linux Mint 21.3, it might help, since Houdini is faster on Linux!
Edited by GCharb - July 10, 2024 21:21:16
182 posts
And we can't download the daily builds?
  • Quick Links