preferences and plugins for houdini upgrade

2333   5   1
9 posts
Hi There

Is there a way to automatically transfer all my preferences and files shortcuts etc… from houdini17.5 to houdini18? After upgrading I'm left with a fresh version of houdini with no custom layouts etc…
7981 posts
You can automatically open your file browser to you houdini17.5 folder, and then automatically drag the files and folders you want to keep into the houdini18 folder with your mouse.
Then next time you open houdini 18 your old settings will automatically be there.
9 posts
cool thanks! that worked
2110 posts
Thought I would revive this thread with an 'extension' question.

As jsmack suggested this is what I have actually been doing for as long as I can remember, since the number of preference files I transfer to new releases is small and an easy and quick task.

However, as an excercise in python I'm thinking of writting a python script file in which I think if I 'drop' in a new release preference folder and run the script from there, could reach back to specified folders and transfer those files; And also modify contents if need be as well,e.g.,
open houdini.env file and insert lines like:
OCIO = "C:......\aces_version\config.ocio"
MAPBOX_API = pk.eugus239Addsoekr9322.zgkdsie
etc.
etc.

Wondering if this is the type of approach studios take or is there some 'app' that a studio might use to do such things and 'more'?
Edited by BabaJ - July 16, 2024 10:06:53
197 posts
You can use packages [www.sidefx.com].They are easy to maintain, version, extend and share.
Edited by viklc - July 16, 2024 12:40:24
144 posts
I found these tutorials on python packages really helpful and am working through them myself:

Around timestamp 1.30.00

Houdini Python API | Python For Production Week 1 (Free Lessons from a Pro Developer) [www.youtube.com]

Houdini Data Pipeline Integration | Paul Ambrosiussen | EPC 2023 [www.youtube.com]

I believe that the key is to use the package.json and reference your paths/ environment variables there which will point to your folder elsewhere. Like MLOPS does: https://github.com/Bismuth-Consultancy-BV/MLOPs/blob/main/MLOPs.json [github.com]
Brave, Big-hearted Rebel
------
Design the Future, Now.
PHENOM DESIGN
------
Processing smarter, not harder on a M3 MAX 36GB
  • Quick Links