Fur sim on Cloth Sim

742   6   0
23 posts
so I'm here trying to make a fur coat and I've got to the point where the drape velum solver is nicely stitching all the panels together and the coat sims nicely over the undershirt and animated mannequin. time to put some lovely fur on that coat but hold on...

now the T pose has a draped coat with all the folds etc. making it impossible to paint a groom across an even surface.. so when the animation starts my fur is all kinds of clipping patchy nastiness.

a sense a bad workflow here..

should I be applying fur to the planar panels before they even drape in the velum solver?

how to people who know what they are doing do this??

cheers!
Edited by Shy1 - July 10, 2024 00:54:05

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-07-09 074847.png (2.3 MB)

23 posts
bump.. any advice at all would help. I'm pretty stuck
103 posts
Personally I'd do the coat groom after it's been draped over the character in its rest pose. I'm having a hard time imagining how this could be impossible.

Then do the cloth sim for the coat based on your character animation, then use the usual groom deform workflow to deform the groom with the simulated coat.

Or if that doesn't answer your question then share your file if possible.
23 posts
thankyou very much @freshbaked. I'm a little unclear on what you mean by doing the groom after the drape but before the cloth sim though.

isn't applying the groom to the draped sim the same as having the groom applied to the rest pose of the vellum cloth sim? aren't they both effectively cloth sims or is there a difference that would help the groom not clip if applied directly after the drape?

how do you share a project file on here? adding attachment throws up an error. do you mean by DM? in any case I really appreciate you or anyone else giving up time to help get me unstuck.
103 posts
Well I'm not sure of your workflow but you asked:
should I be applying fur to the planar panels before they even drape in the velum solver?

And personally I would not do that.

In production if I were tasked to groom a fur coat, I would likely receive it from modelling already draped over the character in its bind pose. Whether the modeller sculpted it or simulated it into place is irrelevant.

After the groom is done you can then apply your character animation and/or do a cloth sim on the coat and then deform/sim the groom based on that.

However, you said you're having trouble grooming the coat after it's draped over the character which I don't quite understand so being able to see your file might help.
23 posts
I'd love to share the file but haven't done that before and I can't imagine it's as simple as copy pasting a hip file?

if I try to upload here I get an error message.

let me know how and I'll be more than happy to share the file.

re. the grooming issue. there's no problem applying the groom to the rest pose. but once animated I get all kinds of clipping with fur poking through the inside lining from the outside etc. nasty hairs sticking etc.etc. and I can only assume it's because I'm applying a groom to a coat that's draped with all the folds you'd see on a draped material..

so plenty of surface area is hidden in the folds where the groom can't map maybe?? ...and then when the folds unravel during the animation I can understand why the groom solver would freak out.

but I really have no idea how this actually works of course
Image Not Found
Edited by Shy1 - July 17, 2024 00:40:19
103 posts
Upload your scene anywhere you are comfortable (dropbox, gdrive) and dm me the link if you want.
  • Quick Links