VDB to Unreal HeterogeneousVolume placement

1617   3   0
18 posts
Hi!

In Houdini I have simulated and exported a VDB sequence that I am importing into Unreal as an animated SVT.
I am having some issues with aligning the Heterogeneous Volume actor so that it matches the transform in Houdini.

What I have done so far to get the placement of a Static SVT to align is the following:

Location x = Houdini center x * 100 (The center of the Houdini sim)
Location y = Houdini center z * 100
Location z = Houdini center y * 100

rotation x = 90
rotation Y = 0
rotation Z = 0

scale x = 100 * Houdini sim division size (if the sim div size is 0.01 that would be a scale of 1.0)
scale Y = - 100 * Houdini sim division size
scale Z = 100 * Houdini sim division size

If the SVT is animating I can not get the Location to align. I have tried using the first frame center, the last frame center, the "combined center" of all frames of the sim... but I have not been able to align it yet.

Does any one know the correct way to align an animated SVT in UE?

Thanks!
1 posts
Hey!! I think there's a solution for the animating VDB thingy, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBrM4iWlWFE [www.youtube.com] 14:22--> use a static bounding box etc.
4 posts
Hello,
I've the same issue. I've tried a static bounding box but that doesn't resolve the problem.

The video is private @Ivy1996
18 posts
Hi ivy1996!

It would be interesting to hear more about this solution. Unfortunately the video was private/removed

I did some further testing of both static and animating vdbs with a changing bbox.
I used the following transform settings in unreal and it seems like it works:

Location x 0
Location y 0
Location z 0

rotation x 90
rotation x 0
rotation x 0

scale x 100
scale y -100
scale z 100

Click the reset Volume Resolution (of the heterogeneous volume actor) to make sure it fits the imported vdb bounds.
Probably only need to do this if you have reimported the vdb and the bounds have changed.

BR
Johan
Edited by Petfactory - today 05:35:13
  • Quick Links