High Aspect Ratio Factors for Orthographic Cameras

405   5   0
2110 posts
Does anyone know why the default parameters for aspect ratios require a very high input number?

For example in the hip file, a grid of 10x10 scene units (hip file preference set to default of 10 units) for top view.

When in Solaris, in order to have that fit the camera view for either approach of using horizontal aperture controlling the ratio or both horizontal and vertical aperture directly - in each case, a value of 1 million is needed.

I would think that SideFX would make default values according to what they think is typical use scenarios - but if that is the case, I am clearly not in that category.

Personally I would put in an RFE to have the aspect ratio number requirements reduced 100k times so that orthographic view aperture setting values match scene grid values. It also has the added benefit of adjusting values more in line with numbers found on the value ladder adjustments.

But then again, there must be some 'industry' need for how it is?
Edited by BabaJ - July 18, 2024 12:33:04

Attachments:
Orthographic_Camera_Aperature.hiplc (392.5 KB)

7981 posts
BabaJ
For example in the hip file, a grid of 10x10 scene units (hip file preference set to default of 10 units) for top view.

The hip file default unit size is 1, not 10.

The horizontal and vertical apertures are entered in mm, and encoded following the USD spec which is 10 times the layer's base unit. For a 10 meter aperture, a value of 10000 is used on the camera as 10000mm is 10m. This is recorded as 100 on the camera prim, as 100 is 10x 10 meters since the base unit is 1m. Changing the base unit to 10m in the prefs would make the value entered need to be 10x larger as the 10x10 grid is now 100m x 100m and 100m is 100000mm.
2110 posts
jsmack

Mine shows 10

jsmack
The horizontal and vertical apertures are entered in mm, and encoded following the USD spec....is 100000mm.
Ok...now this makes sense then. Thanks for the insight on that.
7981 posts
BabaJ

Mine shows 10

Then you must have changed it to work in 10 meter units. Doing city-scale modelling maybe?
2110 posts
jsmack
Then you must have changed it to work in 10 meter units. Doing city-scale modelling maybe?
Sort of...checking out Copernicus, making terrain maps, etc....seeing how it renders different scales, tiling, etc.etc.
7981 posts
I agree that the ortho mode would make more sense if the units were the same as the world units, no conversion required--this is a USD spec thing though.
  • Quick Links