Karma XPU "Unlit AOV" (or "inactive" Direct Emission)

901   7   1
206 posts
Could you please help me with the AOV settings I will need for the result on the picture B? I am AOV+Comp beginner, so please excuse my possibly wrong terminology.

• I think, that I need a Direct Emission AOV, but without the emmision actually affecting the render.
  • Or is there some "UNLIT" Diffuse or Beauty AOV in Karma XPU?

What I want in the end:
spheres - rendered as default
box - I would like material with texture, and to have "original texture colors" (as original as possible) available in comp

I don't want to ask for too much complexity with colorspaces and numerical values. The result is to be used in videomapping on a building, so a "simple" solution is perfect for me.
Edited by ikoon - July 19, 2024 08:15:02

Attachments:
emmision aov.png (991.1 KB)

8021 posts
I'm not sure I understand, if it's purely emissive, then how is it going to get shadows cast upon it? Maybe you want something like a background plate render? where 'emission' is a standin for preexisting scene illumination, and the shadows end up in a aov. The background plate uses projection from camera though, not uvs. Maybe it could be done in two passes, or the background shader modified to use geometry uvs.
206 posts
@jsmack thank you very much for your answer. Yes I want kind of "background plate render". I want the "raw" unlit colors of an object texture (and composite the shadows afterwards). I could do that with a second render (texture set as Emmision Color).

I thought that Albedo might be what I need. I am really a beginner, please apologize my silly questions:

- why aren't the textures in the picture (1.2.3.) all the same and "raw"?
- texture is set as Base Color
- it is an Albedo pass, there is no light in the scene

Attachments:
albedo.png (411.5 KB)

8021 posts
ikoon
@jsmack thank you very much for your answer. Yes I want kind of "background plate render". I want the "raw" unlit colors of an object texture (and composite the shadows afterwards). I could do that with a second render (texture set as Emmision Color).

I thought that Albedo might be what I need. I am really a beginner, please apologize my silly questions:

- why aren't the textures in the picture (1.2.3.) all the same and "raw"?
- texture is set as Base Color
- it is an Albedo pass, there is no light in the scene

the albedo pass isn't basecolor anymore. It's polluted with the reflect intensity. It's not possible to export just the basecolor anymore.
206 posts
@jsmack Thank you for bearing with me!

Is it a bug then?

Can I define my "own" albedo aov in Karma XPU?
8021 posts
ikoon
Is it a bug then?

maybe a difference of opinions

ikoon
Can I define my "own" albedo aov in Karma XPU?

Yes, fortunately, with the Karma AOV node.
206 posts
@jsmack thank you very much!

If I set Specular of the material to zero, then Albedo is not "contaminated".
(USD Preview Surface still contains a tiny bit of "fresnel" at sharp angle)
(MTLX Standard Surface seems to be clean, even at sharp angle)

I don't feel competent to RFE or bother support, as I am new into this.

I have tried to set up my own AOV (as in the picture) but that behaves the same as Albedo (with all the issues described above)

Attachments:
my_albedo.png (338.5 KB)

206 posts
Yaniv Gorali on the Houdini Artists facebook suggested this solution (attachment). The Karma AOV VOP (inside karma material builder) also creates Render Var automatically, cool!

Thank you very much buddy!

I didn't know that approach. (Sorry for cross posting but I was a bit desperate after few days).

Attachments:
albedo_aov.png (161.7 KB)

• Quick Links