Object Merge Node for Copernicus COPs

959   10   0
32 posts
In SOP there is this very handy node that allows encapsulation and helps simplify networks by breaking down large networks into smaller ones with fewer nodes, it's the Object Merge node.

Substance designer has a similar node called the Dot Node.

Note that this is not about how to bring geometry from SOPs, this functionality is already present in a useful form in the COPs network, but rather a node that allows import of output from another node in the same network (or even another SOP network).

Is there an equivalent node in the new Copernicus context?

This would certainly help reduce the potential problem of spaghetti graphs when the graphs get eventually larger.
Edited by netlander - July 20, 2024 14:19:57
2110 posts
If you work in object context, you can set up orgainzed networks of networks and use referencing like op: or rel/abs referencing.
And you can make use of both object merge nodes and cop network nodes

Attachments:
Copernicus_Referencing.hiplc (118.8 KB)

32 posts
Thanks for the reply: Something of a workaround albeit a bit combersome.

Was hoping for a node that wold help simplify a graph within the same COP network, the attachments below show how the Dot node in Designer works, which is what I'm after.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-07-21 123929.png (78.2 KB)
Screenshot 2024-07-21 124152.png (147.3 KB)

25 posts
Yeah, that would be a neat feature. Copernicus graph tends to become chaotic very quickly with all lines crossing over. The same applies to regular VOPs, I often missed this functionality.
2110 posts
netlander

It's actually not a workaround.

If you want to have wire connections too then just encapsulate the copnet nodes, object nodes, etc. with a subnet.

Or if you want more 'functionality' of the subnet itself, just turn it into an asset.
Edited by BabaJ - July 21, 2024 09:48:44
32 posts
Dawid Wizor
The same applies to regular VOPs, I often missed this functionality.

EDIT: This applies to SOP (bound to get confused with all these acronyms) :S

In SOPs I finish each network "segment" with a Null node and use Object Merge inside the same network to bring the output of that Null in, this simplifies the network a great deal and make complex networks much more readable and works real well for me (see attachement). Haven't really pushed this approach very hard on simulations or anything like that (mostly procedural modelling) so unable to say if it scales well.

Try it, you might like it.
Edited by netlander - July 21, 2024 10:17:27

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-07-21 145132.png (40.0 KB)

32 posts
BabaJ
netlander

It's actually not a workaround.

Absolutelly right, not a workaround at all, I can't see where this can help my case except breaking down a COPs network in smaller ones then doing an object merge at the SOP level then inside the main COPs network doing SOP import but that will only bring in the output of the visible node and as geometry and that was not what I'm after in this particular case, not by a long stretch.

Thanks anyway
2110 posts
netlander
the attachments below show how the Dot node in Designer works, which is what I'm after.

Also, if it's not just for organizing(what I was suggesting), and you just want the information to be able to be exposed.....

You know you can already create a 'dot' on a wire anywhere with 'Alt' + click?

Then you could possibly put in an RFE that information (like what you seem to suggest) could be exposed/available on those created dot connectors.
32 posts
BabaJ
You know you can already create a 'dot' on a wire anywhere with 'Alt' + click?

Yes the dot can make the wires look a little more organised but no way to avoid criss-crossing wires which is what, on large networks, hurts my brain
2110 posts
netlander
Yes the dot can make the wires look a little more organised but no way to avoid criss-crossing wires which is what, on large networks, hurts my brain

That's why I suggested what I did originally.

But I do like your suggestion that you provided ref. information on the dots.

There has been times when just working in an object context where I have a very complex structure going on, and a number of times I don't simply want to make an 'invisible' reference to other nodes i.e. I want to have a wire connection instead;

Having desired information to be able to be exposed on the dot connectors can be very useful; similar to having the group names one setups in a group node show themselves along with the group node name.

I've just been 'lazy' to put in a request for such a feature as I get by without it anyways.

I'm sure you're not alone with others coming from 'Designer' , go ahead and put an RFE in with a description and image like you did. There may be enough of the same RFEs that they put some time into it.
Edited by BabaJ - July 21, 2024 10:38:01
1 posts
netlander
a node that allows import of output from another node in the same network (or even another SOP network).

Is there an equivalent node in the new Copernicus context?

This isn't a great workaround, and I've not stress tested, but it may be of some help.
Where I have a model already set up with masks and attributes in SOPs which I know I want to reuse a lot in my COPs network, I have been trying this out

- Create subnet from my selected nodes
(usually everything from sopimport > rasterize setup > rasterize geo, but it might include essential remaps of an attribute etc)

-add an appropriate entry, for each Output I need exposed, in to the Parameter View of that subnet

-add an Output node inside the network and connect each attribute

-if I have any other nodes I've used for clamping or remaps etc that are inside and I want easy access to, I add those via Edit Parameter Interface

-Create a Reference Copy (in case I alter my sopimport or output type) of that subnet where I need to plug in my masks

The only issue is that if I decide I need to create more outputs on my Subnet later, this is not automatically added to my referenced versions

I tried using a File node with an op: reference to another node with useful outputs via op:/stage/copnet1/border_MSK/
but that doesn't appear to work
  • Quick Links