Moving textures on GEO problem

708   6   1
35 posts
Hi,

I have a scene where I used a 4k leather texture from Megascans for an Old Book HDA that I bought, and in the render, the texture glitches/jumps instead of staying put. I'm rendering in Solaris Karma XPU.

I remember I had an issue with this once with Octane render and the solution was to check a box in the render settings to calculate textures on every frame. Is there something like that in Karma?

Or is is a UV issue and I need to do something to make the textures stick?

H264 movie attached of the issue. LMK if I need to send screenshots of the setup.

thanks,

Attachments:
1080_brown leather_14mb.mp4 (13.5 MB)

-Dan Huiting
113 posts
It seems to me that the texture does not use uv coordinates, but uses world (or object) space coordinates. The cover moves through space, the pixel coordinates change, the texture moves. Check what coordinates are included in your texture, I assume it is definitely not uv
35 posts
RGaal
Check what coordinates are included in your texture
Ok will do. How do I do this?
-Dan Huiting
113 posts
Sorry, friend, materialix karma nodes are a mystery to me compared to other renderers and are waiting to be studied. So I'm not an expert in them, but it's worth studying the help, I'm going to study it myself.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/kug/textures.html [www.sidefx.com]
35 posts
RGaal
Sorry, friend, materialix karma nodes are a mystery to me compared to other renderers and are waiting to be studied. So I'm not an expert in them, but it's worth studying the help, I'm going to study it myself.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/solaris/kug/textures.html [www.sidefx.com]

Ok thank you for your help anyway!

I'm currently trying to use a time shift and then rest node in SOPs to add a rest position attribute, then load that attribute as a primvar in the MTLX material to the UVs. I just don't know how to use the USD Primvar reader node correctly within the material to make the texture stick.
-Dan Huiting
8723 posts
For image textures you dont need rest, just UVs

Technically you dont need to do anything different to what you are doing to pages, so the fact that the pages textures stick and cover doesnt suggests that the UVs on the cover may be already sliding in SOPs, which can happen if they are created after animation for example
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
35 posts
tamte
For image textures you dont need rest, just UVs

Technically you dont need to do anything different to what you are doing to pages, so the fact that the pages textures stick and cover doesnt suggests that the UVs on the cover may be already sliding in SOPs, which can happen if they are created after animation for example

Yep! You were exactly right. The UV’s were sliding around in SOPs. I had an auto uv node on , and that was the problem. Fix it now. Thanks!
-Dan Huiting
  • Quick Links