APEX ik issue

1147   10   2
63 posts
Hello guys,
After few week trying different way to learn APEX, I am not able to create the IK on my rig, it is not working...If you want to take a look...
Thank you for your advice..

google drive link [drive.google.com]
4 posts
Hi Sebastien! I'm also just starting with APEX, but it appears to me that for your "ik1" and "ik2" autorig nodes, on the "Driven" tab, needs to have "_l" in each of the root, mid, and tip parameters.
So it becomes:
ik1: "hip_l", "knee_l", "ankle_l"
ik2: "scapula_l", "elbow_l", "palm_l"

Remember to set unique names for the polevector and ikhandle in the "Controls" tab so front and back legs have individual controls

Now you might see one of the annoying issues I've run into with IK. It doesn't seem to like mirrored skeletons with negative scaled transforms. It might be worth it to add new drivers to your driven tips maybe with the transformdrivers Autorig Component.

I'm still new to all this, so plenty of grains of salt. But I hope it helps you.
63 posts
James Foxes
Hi Sebastien! I'm also just starting with APEX, but it appears to me that for your "ik1" and "ik2" autorig nodes, on the "Driven" tab, needs to have "_l" in each of the root, mid, and tip parameters.
So it becomes:
ik1: "hip_l", "knee_l", "ankle_l"
ik2: "scapula_l", "elbow_l", "palm_l"

Remember to set unique names for the polevector and ikhandle in the "Controls" tab so front and back legs have individual controls

Now you might see one of the annoying issues I've run into with IK. It doesn't seem to like mirrored skeletons with negative scaled transforms. It might be worth it to add new drivers to your driven tips maybe with the transformdrivers Autorig Component.

I'm still new to all this, so plenty of grains of salt. But I hope it helps you.
Hi James, Thank you for helping, I did a video print screen if you can take a look:
9 posts
Hi Sebastian, i couldn't get the multik autorig component so i just used the smoothik on both the arm and legs instead.
The issue James mentioned also happened, you have to set the skeletonmirror node from scale to rotation.
63 posts
Escanut
Hi Sebastian, i couldn't get the multik autorig component so i just used the smoothik on both the arm and legs instead.
The issue James mentioned also happened, you have to set the skeletonmirror node from scale to rotation.
Hi! Thank you, I will try!
63 posts
Hi guys,
The apex setup is better, but I have a lot to fix before I can use it. If you have any advice, I would be really thankful.
Staff
49 posts
Sebastien Levieux
Hi guys,
The apex setup is better, but I have a lot to fix before I can use it. If you have any advice, I would be really thankful.
Hi, please have a look at some of the example files to see how they are set up.
https://www.sidefx.com/contentlibrary/character-switching/ [www.sidefx.com]
https://www.sidefx.com/contentlibrary/toucan-rig/ [www.sidefx.com]
63 posts
william_harley
Sebastien Levieux
Hi guys,
Hi, please have a look at some of the example files to see how they are set up.
https://www.sidefx.com/contentlibrary/character-switching/ [www.sidefx.com]
https://www.sidefx.com/contentlibrary/toucan-rig/ [www.sidefx.com]
Thank you William, the one with the Tocan is really interesting, I will try to update my rig like that...Can I ask you if I have questions?
63 posts
william_harley
Sebastien Levieux
Hi guys,

Hi William,
What is your suggestion for eyes with the different parts? I use the jointcaptureproximity for the eyesball, but for the rest should I use blendshape or skining?

I found that video on sidefx website:

Thank you for helping.
Edited by Sebastien Levieux - Aug. 3, 2024 08:01:36

Attachments:
2024-08-03_074908.jpg (527.3 KB)

Staff
49 posts
Sebastien Levieux
Hi William,
What is your suggestion for eyes with the different parts? I use the jointcaptureproximity for the eyesball, but for the rest should I use blendshape or skining?
Hi have a look on youtube for rigging tutorials, the DCC doesnt matter. The principles are mostly the same.
Then try and build it in apex.

The chicken and the luchador are both set up using pose blends for the facial animation, you can have a look at how that was set up.
I am using a custom setup for the pose blends in those examples. We have a brand new pose blend component that you can use for that.
63 posts
william_harley
Sebastien Levieux
Hi William,
Hi have a look on youtube for rigging tutorials, the DCC doesnt matter. The principles are mostly the same.
Then try and build it in apex.

The chicken and the luchador are both set up using pose blends for the facial animation, you can have a look at how that was set up.
I am using a custom setup for the pose blends in those examples. We have a brand new pose blend component that you can use for that.

Thank you William for your feedback, I always know 3ds max and Maya rig, I will check out the new pose blend
Edited by Sebastien Levieux - Aug. 9, 2024 09:49:18
  • Quick Links