Houdini UI nitpicking

2005   21   4
268 posts
I personnally have more issue with Unreal UI design for example than Houdini, or Nuke foundry which still has the same UI for years despite tons of criticism on their low DPI resolution and more. Sidefx team doesn not deserve some of the hard criticism i have read here i think. Do you how the team manage to constant trully innovate while also supporting 3 X OS platforms + doing the maintenance of all layers of such a massive solution?

Copernicus and Solaris UI looks great to me, dark grey theme is also a good addition, the all package is highly customizable which make the solution one of the most pleasant than most other DCC i have ever used in decades.

Im also more much concerned about stability, especially on heavy scene. Many of us does not want the UI to receive major changes like the arrangement of your next street supermarket.
Just my humble opinion, yeah hard to satisfy everyone...
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
112 posts
raincole
In the past 2 years, every single time SideFX tried to improve the UI/UX, it has always been between "total disaster" to "3 steps forward, 2 step backwards". HUD sliders, hotkey system, recipe, new node info panel... every single one. The negligence of UX is just too deep in their culture. I'd rather SideFX to NOT refresh it until they find a proper UI/UX team and empower them. It's guaranteed to be disastrous if they try to overhaul it at this moment.

Info panel and render stats are hints of the design to come...
  • Quick Links