Hair procedural - UVs

955   8   2
1 posts
Hi there!
I'm aiming to create dense fur in Solaris and I'm trying out the fur procedural for the first time. When I render my input groom (coming from a hairgen sop) with my texture it looks as expected, but when I render things with the hair procedural I don't see the texture and my current guess is that the UVs aren't being generated for some reason.

The hair procedural seems to be reading the density attribute from my skin mesh, and I have the required attributes on the input guides. In the hair procedural guide settings, "Attributes to Copy" does not seem to make a difference if I add a * there.

I haven't come across a whole lot of information about using the hair procedural with discussions about the UVs, so if someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Attachments:
001_groom_noHairProc_workingUVs.jpg (105.1 KB)
002_groom_hairProc.jpg (78.1 KB)
003_hairProc_settings.jpg (58.7 KB)
004_inputGuides_primvars.jpg (71.5 KB)

14 posts
Bump,looks like nobody use karma procedurals for actual work...
163 posts
We use it, but not the generate mode.
14 posts
Heileif
Why use the deform mode if you dont generate hairs on lops?i mean if you use hair gen you could deform the hairs in sops
69 posts
Jorge Ivanovich2
Heileif
Why use the deform mode if you dont generate hairs on lops?i mean if you use hair gen you could deform the hairs in sops

Because then you would need to cache out each deformed frame of the groom which is not what you want to do, hence the hair procedural.
163 posts
ronald_a
Jorge Ivanovich2
Heileif

Because then you would need to cache out each deformed frame of the groom which is not what you want to do, hence the hair procedural.

Yes, and you have alot more flexibility with doing the groom in SOPs. Regarding all the grooming tools there.

Husk don't need Houdini/Engine license for every render node to deform the hair with the procedural. Also caching the hair from SOPs takes way to much time and space on the server.
Edited by Heileif - Aug. 27, 2024 18:33:29
14 posts
Cool so the way its the deform sample and control final hair count in sops,thanks
14 posts
Sorry but maybe someone can post a simple hip with a character using karma procedural to deform hair?
Thanks!
163 posts
Have you checked out the scene on the help page? https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/lop/houdinihairprocedural.html [www.sidefx.com]

If you want to load it in a clean Houdini scene press F1 inside Houdini, and just search in the help page for "houdinihairprocedural example"
Edited by Heileif - Sept. 5, 2024 19:39:32
  • Quick Links