38 posts
Hey All,
My Specs:
AMD Threadripper 7980x with 128 Gb ECC RAM
RTX 4090
Houdini 20.5.348
RenderMan 26.2
Linux Mint 22

When I start Houdini, the system fans ramp like a jet engine until the UI is finished loading, and then things go back to typical noise/fan levels. I am not noticing any load on the CPU/GPU in PSensor. What is happening from the time I click the icon, to the finished UI loading that would make the fans sound like a jet engine? There are no other programs that show this behavior. I know this is a tough question, and not really affecting how Houdini works.. just an annoyance.

Update: I am seeing a huge spike in CPU usage on startup of Houdini... not a scene load, just starting the program. I have been using the machine for a few weeks now and rendering never gets above 60c.. it is a very efficient chip. When I start Houdini, the CPU temps are at 75c. That is the hottest the CPU has ever been. It just seems weird that a program starting is the most CPU usage out of all the things I do on this machine. It is a short spike in usage, but it is annoying, and I am just truly curious to know what is going on?
Edited by TheNotepadShow - Sept. 14, 2024 13:34:49
Thanks,
Todd Manus
www.artstation.com/thenotepadshow
www.itodd.net
  • Quick Links