Is there a way to plot attribute values on a graph?

343   5   1
16 posts
Lets say I have a mask attribute, I can look at the raw data in the Geometry Spreadsheet (it's just a bunch of float numbers). I can visualize them in the viewport with colors on points. But what would be really cool is to be able to se a graph: on X axis number of points, on Y axis value. Or something like a histogram where you can see values as vertical bars.
Did anyone encounter something like this? Is there even a way to do it? I guess its possible to create geometry in the scene that represents the histogram. But other then that?
4623 posts
Hi,

You can do a basic plot in VEX like this:

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
16 posts
O yeah, that makes sense and is pretty simple actually. Thank you.
24 posts
Whoa wait what - how? How do you render geometry to an image and import it as an image in the network view? Is this a live connection, or has a static image been rendered out and is just imported to the network view?
4623 posts
achrist3
Whoa wait what - how? How do you render geometry to an image and import it as an image in the network view? Is this a live connection, or has a static image been rendered out and is just imported to the network view?

It's live. I used Python and Qt to do it. It's part of a larger set of customizations inside Houdini to optimize working with limited screen space, more powerful hotkey system using mnemonics, etc. You can see it on these videos:

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
7990 posts
animquer
Lets say I have a mask attribute, I can look at the raw data in the Geometry Spreadsheet (it's just a bunch of float numbers). I can visualize them in the viewport with colors on points. But what would be really cool is to be able to se a graph: on X axis number of points, on Y axis value. Or something like a histogram where you can see values as vertical bars.
Did anyone encounter something like this? Is there even a way to do it? I guess its possible to create geometry in the scene that represents the histogram. But other then that?

The main way is to use CHOPs. The geometry chop can import an attribute and evaluate it over time or over point numbers, or both. CHOPs has its own viewer specifically for displaying graphs called "Motion FX View".
  • Quick Links