Beginner's Q and A

387   5   1
3 posts
Hello all,

I’m posting here since I’m not sure which forum is most suitable for these kinds of discussions.

Hello all,

I’m posting here since I’m not sure which forum is most suitable for these kinds of discussions.

I’ve worked in the industry for many years, using different types of 3D software such as Maya, XSI, and Blender. I’m going through the beginner tutorials and I’m quite impressed with how well thought out they are. However, in the Fur Dude rigging and fur lesson, I’m encountering a lot of issues that I’m struggling to resolve.

I’m hoping this forum can help me and others get answers to questions regarding these tutorials. Here’s a good example of one issue I’m facing:

In the Fur Dude tutorial, I’ve created an asset. In the step I’m currently on, I need to delete some joints, add new ones, and then mirror them back. It’s pretty straightforward, and I can follow the instructions quite easily. However, the bind joints on the right foot, from which I deleted the joints, are now losing their data to bind to the new joints. See the image attached.

I’m using Houdini 20.5, which I imagine might be part of the problem. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this issue and what steps in the tutorial I might be doing wrong. I’ve followed the PDF and the video 1:1 as far as I can tell.
https://media.sidefx.com/files/tutorials/foundations-rig-fur-dude-with-kinefx/hfoundations_07_kinefx_furdude.pdf [media.sidefx.com]
Link to the video and the PDF https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/foundations-rig-fur-dude-with-kinefx/#comment-16467 [www.sidefx.com]

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-09-16 181641.png (1.2 MB)

108 posts
Is this from Part 10? Any chance you can upload your .hip file?
3 posts
Sure thing

Attachments:
fur_dude_08.hipnc (729.4 KB)

108 posts
Thanks. I believe one problem is that you missed replacing "l" with "r" when you first mirrored the skeleton.

This node: /obj/fur_dude/skeletonmirror2

Also on this node: /obj/fur_dude/bonedeform1

I disabled "Delete Capture Attributes"
Edited by freshbaked - Sept. 19, 2024 23:27:16
3 posts
Thanks for the help! Always fun to spot a silly mistake. Now, I’m just trying to figure out how to get the skinning to work without running into errors. I went back to the original file, before turning it into an asset, to see if I can make the skinning follow properly, but I’m still getting a bunch of errors.

I’ve attached the HIP file if you want to take a look. I actually enjoy problems like this because I've learned how to handle unexpected issues that arise from small mistakes. I really appreciate the help—it’s always great to have someone experienced point me in the right direction.

Attachments:
fur_dude_05.hipnc (642.5 KB)

108 posts
Hi, I opened the file you sent (fur_dude_05) and I'm not seeing any errors and the skinning seems to be working fine.

I haven't gone through this tutorial myself so I'm not familiar with what steps come after this, but if you're expecting to maintain the capture data for later use then, as I mentioned, on "bonedeform1" you can disable the "Delete Capture Attributes" which is on by default.

I hope this helps, I don't do much rigging but this is what I did to make the first file you sent work.
  • Quick Links