Bad fonts

8794   10   1
88 posts
I'm running H9 on Windows XP and when I reload my hip after it crashes I get messed up fonts. See attached image. Is there a way to fix this?

Attachments:
badFonts.jpg (7.2 KB)

12603 posts
Which version? (That looks like an old problem we had)
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
483 posts
I wonder if you're running on an ATI card. While developing on those cards, I've had problems that only a reboot would solve – it's like the driver wouldn't release the resources on the card if the application crashes.

That was on Linux, but I expect it's applicable to Windows as well. Sometimes, it would go away after a short time.

So, further to Jason's question, I'd ask what video card and driver you're using.

Also, do try to reproduce any crashes you get, so we can fix the problem and you won't have to deal with the driver issues.
88 posts
I'm running on a NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go (Dell Mobile) video card. The houdini version is 9.0.725.
483 posts
That version is new enough to have all our font changes; all I can personally suggest is a) upgrading your graphics driver, if possible; and b) reporting all the crashing bugs you can.

Others may have more to say, though.
52 posts
I get these bad fonts too, but only when activating an image map in a shader (no crash needed). I submitted a bug, but no joy - which leads me to believe it's my now ancient Quadro4. The latest drivers that nvidia recommend are 91.36 and they've not been updated in well over a year.

I wonder if the Geforce4 drivers have been similarly neglected - if so this adds more weight to it being the driver to blame (assuming your bad fonts prob and mine are in anyway related).
88 posts
If it is the graphics card why would the fonts be fine for one minute then defunct the next?
483 posts
I'm not saying it's definitely the graphics card's problem – that's just my theory. The way you described it was as bad stuff happening following a crash, which I have seen cause issues on some graphics drivers. There is obviously some combination of Houdini and your graphics card and drivers that's causing this issue; precisely what is making it break I'm not sure.

If you can give us a step-by-step method of reproducing, we can investigate codepaths that might cause issues.

Thanks for your patience.
88 posts
Well it may not be a graphics card problem, since 9.0.719 seems to be okay. It's just 9.0.725 that's the problem for me.
483 posts
That's very unusual, bobster. Can you tell me exactly what happens, and how long it lasts? I don't think I have a complete understanding of your problem yet.
523 posts
Hello ,

I got the same problem.

When starting up Houdini, everything looks fine.
When I make a simple grid and then apply ‘Quickshade UV’ texture (Texture shelf) the fonts are getting corrupted…

Using H 9.0.755, windows xp

thanks,

bern
  • Quick Links