game question

3375   2   1
86 posts
hi all..

This is my first question so it is almost certainly a FAQ :shock: . I am working with TGE/A and Apprentice and would like to know if it is feasible to use the fracture feature (w/ shatter/break, and possibly debris) to generate content for use in TGE/A. A simple tutorial of an art pipeline showing an Exploding Box with sample TGE project showing.. an Exploding Box.. would be Nice.

In fact, any kind of tutorial from yourselves or your educational partners on using Houdini to build and export a simple DTS model with trivial animation for TGE/A would be helpful.. it probably exists and i've missed it :? .

I think high-end games might require that the fracturing take account of differences in material properties.. maybe your procedural approach is good at this kind of problem. If so, perhaps this could get you into more pipelines.. perhaps a dumb noob idea.

thanks for any help you can give..
I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
69 posts
Within the ‘Help’ feature, there exist example files for the Torque ROP. Help>>Reference>>Nodes>>Torque.

I'm not certain if this is a feasible HD feature that could export. The ‘fracture/shatter’ node might have to produce certain geometry containers for each set of primitives that can be recognized for exporting.

Something like this would take some experimenting to get working/exporting….

Good luck!

Remember, HD and TGE/TGEA is still fairly new and there isn't a lot of ‘documented’ trials/errors to use as examples.

In testing; no rigid body object were tested; only the objects that the ROP supports. Meshes, skeletons, animation, visibility….the ‘standard’ TGE shape feature set were tested against, no ‘physics’ objects.

However; as long as objects/containers get keyframed, I don't see why these type of advanced features would not parse over….time will tell!

Thanks for the food for thought!

PS: and for ‘TGEA’ there is no special modeling requirement setups….you simply need to declare your materials via script.

Attachments:
TorqueROP_HelpExamples.png (62.7 KB)

86 posts
thanks.. i'll look into the examples.
I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
  • Quick Links