Problem with hcustom

7495   9   4
10 posts
I am very much interested in writing some plugins in houdini using hdk.I followed the steps given in sidefx website in using the hdk.

I tried to open a program from /Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Resources/toolkit/samples/standalone/ from command line of my macbook.

I tried to open a program using hcustom command in standalone folder,but I couldn't since I got the following error:

-bash: hcustom: command not found

Could anyone please tell me how to include the hcustom command in .profile file on mac.Thank you.
1904 posts
You need to initialize the Houdini environment. You can either source /Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/version_number/Resources/houdini_setup or you can launch the terminal by running Houdini Shell.terminal in the Application directory.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
10 posts
Thank you very much for your help.I am a newbie to programming in HDK.After
typing hcustom -s geoisosurface.C in the standalone folder in the terminal,I got the following error .

Making geoisosurface.o from geoisosurface.C
cc1plus: warning: command line option “-fobjc-gc-only” is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C++
/var/folders/Eo/Eo7qMOW+EP0hnNKwDNxMHk+++TI/-Tmp-//ccWnVOM3.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: geoisosurface.o
Compile failed

Could anyone please help as I got no clue of what exactly is that.
789 posts
I think I got that to and it was that is because you dont have write permissions in the hdk folder, you can either change the permission, or what was easiest for me, copy the entire hdk folder to your home directory.

Hope that helps
10 posts
Thankyou very much for your help Keon.I appreciate it.I copied the toolkit folder to my home directory I hope it compiled well,I got the following message after typing hcustom -s geoisosurface

Making geoisosurface.o from geoisosurface.C
cc1plus: warning: command line option “-fobjc-gc-only” is valid for ObjC/ObjC++ but not for C++
Making ./geoisosurface from geoisosurface.o
g++ geoisosurface.o -o ./geoisosurface -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Resources/dsolib -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Resources/python/lib -Wl,-rpath,/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries -L/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Resources/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries -F/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Resources/Frameworks -framework Houdini -lpython2.5 -arch x86_64 -fobjc-gc-only -framework OpenGL -framework Cocoa -rpath,@loader_path/Libraries

then I tried to execute it by ./geoisosurface,I got the following error.

objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries/libHoudiniUT.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries/libHoudiniUI.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries/libHoudiniAPPS2.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: *** GC capability of application and some libraries did not match
Illegal instruction

Please help me with this.
214 posts
I'm trying the same thing on my mac. I figured out the first issue was write permissions.

Getting these same errors trying to use the generated geoisosurface file.

objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries/libHoudiniUT.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries/libHoudiniUI.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: ‘/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/10.0.528/Libraries/libHoudiniAPPS2.dylib’ was compiled with -fobjc-gc-only, but the application does not support GC
objc: *** GC capability of application and some libraries did not match
Illegal instruction

I'd like to see this answered, as well.
19 posts
I have the same on my Mac.
214 posts
In any case, I am able to compile and check some of the HDK examples, such as the star example and also the pointwave example, so that's good news.
1 posts
i would love a solution to this as well. i am also having this GC compatibility runtime problem.
214 posts
For me the problem was resolved by updating my version of XCode (I also updated to snow leopard). Apparently XCode installs some libraries that are needed to compile the HDK examples correctly.
  • Quick Links