Houdini Scale at 100x [SOLVED]

8301   5   1
34 posts
Just curious.

I am wondering if there is any reason why treating Houdini's scale the same as Maya will be problematic. For instance, if I rig and model in Maya's default cm to real world scale and import into Houdini, then adjust any parameters that are scale dependent to 100x. Gravity or instance to 980 meters a second rather than 9.8, just as one example.

I have imported some Alembic files into Houdini from Maya and I don't know of a way to scale it on export or import. Or maybe I missed something.

Curious if I should go back to Maya and re-rig and re-scale everything or not.

Thanks.

Edit. Just answered my own question. Probably better all around to simply make an animation layer in Maya and scale the whole rig down before Alembic export, keeping things to real world in Maya.
Edited by - Dec. 8, 2015 23:11:51
2617 posts
I find it is the same way out of Blender. I have to scale my FBX export from Blender by 0.001.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
3459 posts
Houdini's default scale is meters.

you can change the scale (Edit Prefs…)

but you'll be much better off scaling the stuff you've imported - or scaling in the app you export from.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
34 posts
Yeah agreed. I was experimenting, came up with the same conclusion.

And Enviob. I am not sure what your settings are. But Blender's default (1 unit is 1 Meter) is on a par with Houdini.

When I import an FBX from Blender into Maya, it scales it to 100, which is correct. Maybe there is something going on in your import export that is causing this. I have not tried to come from Blender yet.

But at any rate, issue solved for now.

Thanks for the responses.
9 posts
arctor
Houdini's default scale is meters.

you can change the scale (Edit Prefs…)

but you'll be much better off scaling the stuff you've imported - or scaling in the app you export from.

But why is it that 1m in Maya ≠ Houdini? In order to make an object match Houdini's scale on import, I have to build it at 1cm in Maya to get it to match Houdini's default 1m..

Is this just a matter of software differences?
Edited by ninthtale - May 19, 2016 20:03:59
2624 posts
Hi,

Do not change Houdini's unit size all the solvers and defaults work on the premise 1 unit = 1 m . When using data from maya keep it at the defaults > . Its very simple to scale Maya data down to work in Houdini and to rebuild cameras as scaling cameras is bad !

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links