Heightfield Erode : Island & Sea Level

5923   2   1
4 posts
Hello everyone !
Let's say I want to simulate erosion for a terrain from a heightmap, but that this terrain happens to be an island ? Is there a way to accurately simulate erosion while taking into account sea level and keeping the shorelines somewhat similar to the base heightmap ?
My heightmap :

The result once imported and refined in Houdini :

What I ended up doing is creating a slope from the shore to allow the sediments to flow, but I was wondering if there was a better way, because I feel like the beaches I got by doing this are not really realistic and too steep, as you can see in the final terrain :

Is there a better method that I don't know about ? Has anyone ever tried to simulate erosion on an island terrain ? Thanks in advance ^^
Edited by ToxicBoi - March 31, 2019 12:31:26
14 posts
1. Drop ‘HeightField Mask by Feature’ node.
2. Uncheck “Mask by Slope”.
3. Check “Mask by Height”.
4. Click “Compute Range”.
5. Drag the second slider until you're happy with where you generally want the beaches to be.
6. Drop a ‘HeightField Paint’ node and connect it to the above node.
7. Press the Enter in the viewport while the paint node is selected and its Display flag is set. Now you can edit the mask using Left Click to draw, Middle Click to erase, Shift + Left Click Drag to increase/decrease the radius of the brush.
8. Drop a ‘Slump’ node in there and connect it to the above node.
9. Drop a ‘HeightField Mask Clear’ node and connect it to the above node.

You can use this technique to smooth certain parts (instead of using the ‘Slump’ node), remap certain areas, blur certain masks, etc. Have fun!
4 posts
Thanks for your advices, i'll try that as soon as possible ^^
  • Quick Links