Issues with Writing USD Files over Samba

2804   5   1
78 posts
Our pipeline's file system uses Samba file sharing, and it seems to work for everything but Houdini's USD Rop.

While I am able to write out any other file type from Houdini to a network drive with no issues, Attempting to write out a USD file from the USD Rop results in a permissions error. However if I write the same USD to my local drive or via and admin share it works fine.

Any ideas what is going wrong? This is a major issue for our studio's adoption of Solaris.
Staff
4511 posts
Have you tried writing out USD files from a python shell instead of the USD ROP? Does it fail for .usda files, or just .usd files? The USD ROP doesn't do anything special. It just uses the SdfLayer::Export() method to write a layer out to disk.
78 posts
Okay, tested it in a python script LOP and I still get the same error. Here is the code:

node = hou.pwd()
stage = node.editableStage()

root_node = hou.node('../Barrel_Root')
root_path = root_node.parm('root_path').evalAsString()  # Returns a directory on the Samba share
root_path += 'geo/PythonBarrel.usd'
stage.Export(root_path)

If I try to create a new stage in the Houdini python shell like so, I get the same error as soon as I create the stage.

from pxr import Usd
stage = Usd.Stage.CreateNew(r'<Network path>\test\test.usd')

Is it possible that the process creating the files isn't inheriting my user privileges?

I don't have USD installed at the system level, but I imagine if I were to try it from there I would have the same issue.

This is starting to feel like a USD specific question. Is there a good forum to ask this in?
Edited by Ashen - Jan. 28, 2020 15:10:24
Staff
4511 posts
Yes, this does sound like it's something inside of USD causing this issue. There is the usd-interest Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email# [groups.google.com]!forum/usd-interest/topics) which is frequented by Pixar developers and a wide cross section of users. In fact, I just did a search for “samba” in that group and there is a thread indicating someone else had the same issue as you, but they didn't post a resolution… https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email# [groups.google.com]!searchin/usd-interest/samba%7Csort:date/usd-interest/Kf4nV2QdoLg/8nx15yCaBwAJ
78 posts
Lol, actually that is my thread. I should have updated my post here, my bad. It sounds like there may indeed be a windows specific issue. Hopefully we can find a solution.
21 posts
Ashen
Lol, actually that is my thread. I should have updated my post here, my bad. It sounds like there may indeed be a windows specific issue. Hopefully we can find a solution.

Hello! did you managed to solve the issue?
  • Quick Links