Using custom global settings inside Unreal engine

796   1   0
8 posts
Hi,

I'm working on a personal project which is about creating a village environment. In this project I create a hda file per each different house. Each house have some common settings and some uniques settings. To manage the common settings I created a geometry node inside the root of the /obj graph and I use this object as reference to my hda file. But when I use one of the hda inside the Unreal engine, I guess it loses the reference to the global setting object that I defined and it doesn't work inside Unreal engine. So, my question is, what is the proper workflow for this case. How do you manage your common settings from Houdini to Unreal?

Note: In my global settings object I created an Attribute wrangle node to dynamically manage the variables because I also have two different design settings for the houses and I can switch between them easily by this way. So, the solution would be good if it is support dynamic variable definition.
Edited by Hazart - Feb. 11, 2023 13:05:24
8 posts
I found a solution and it works fine. I created a new HDA called Global_Settings. Inside this HDA, I created custom parameters which represents my global settings. Then I created "detail" attributes inside the Global_Settings hda to map the parameters to detail attributes. At the end, I created Global_Settings hda instance where I need to use these global settings. It works great and I'll go with that. I'll not change the settings per instance, instead, I'll update the hda itself. On the other hand, I'm also open to better workflows.
Edited by Hazart - Feb. 11, 2023 16:08:25
  • Quick Links