OCIO colors with SOLARIS KARMA vs ROP vs Redshift

2149   9   3
81 posts
Hi guys,

Using Houdini Indie 20.0.547 with Render Working Space as ACEScg and view transform as ACES 1.0.

I am trying to compare OCIO colors of renders between Karma & Redshift ROP vs Karma & Redshift in SOLARIS.

So far only Redshift ROP works for me (Render to disk only, from Mplay is slightly off even with 'bake to OCIO' checked - see screenshot'). See the attached pictures for comparison.

I am using a texture from GreyscaleGorilla+

In Redshift and MaterialX, basecolor texture is set to sRGB and the rest (roughness/normal/displacement as Raw).
Also triedd Linear Rec709 in Material X for the color tecture, still wrong. Also tried to convert with the Karma OCIO transform, but no success, also I though that with Houdini 20, this was not necessary anymore??

Any help will be greatly appreciuated, I am pulling my hair right now!!

Thank you so much and happy weekend
Edited by anbt - Jan. 20, 2024 04:43:09

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-01-19 154805.png (3.0 MB)
Screenshot 2024-01-19 144711.png (26.7 KB)
Screenshot 2024-01-19 145349.png (184.7 KB)
GSG_MC023_A033_Yellow03_preview.png (306.4 KB)

81 posts
Here is the scene
https://we.tl/t-voHi9dCkE7 [we.tl]

Thank you!
81 posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me with all of this. I will have a look and let you know!
81 posts
So I tried with a quixel texture and I think this is looking much more similar now even though Karma seems a bit more brighter/overexposed compared to Redshift. I will try with your OCIO config file. Thank you!

I guess regarding tiff textures, I do have to convert them into some other format?
Edited by anbt - Jan. 20, 2024 15:43:24

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-01-20 203709.png (1.9 MB)

8015 posts
anbt
Here is the scene
https://we.tl/t-voHi9dCkE7 [we.tl]

Thank you!

I opened the scene, and the first thing I saw as that the rop is writing directly to jpg. This won't apply any tonemapping and might not apply the correct color transform. The output colorspace on the render settings is left default. When writing the jpg it will depend on the file rules of the OCIO config, which won't use a display view transform.

Viewing the exr with the correct display and converting to jpg with the same transform looks correct to me. the yellow in the render matches that in the texture when displayed as srgb.

screenshot of solaris:

screenshot of mplay:

render saved to jpg:

Attachments:
yellow_clay_tonemapped_viewer.png (691.8 KB)
yellow_clay_tonemapped_mplay.png (687.1 KB)
test_SOLARIS_Karma_renderToDisk.jpg (88.3 KB)

8015 posts
TheNotepadShow
No problem. Here is my OCIO config file. It is ACES 1.2. Pixar is a little behind with ACES version.. I think the latest is 1.3. It shouldn't matter at all.

I'd avoid using a 1.0 config if possible in Houdini 19.5 or later, as it assumes that file transforms are defined in the config. With a 1.0 config, file color spaces may be ignored. It's okay to use if you preconvert all your textures to ACEScg and never save renders to anything other than ACEScg as would be done in a studio environment.
81 posts
jsmack
I opened the scene, and the first thing I saw as that the rop is writing directly to jpg. This won't apply any tonemapping and might not apply the correct color transform. The output colorspace on the render settings is left default. When writing the jpg it will depend on the file rules of the OCIO config, which won't use a display view transform.

What have you done exactly because I just reopened the scene, I changed .jpg by .exr in the render settings, but it still looks off in the Karma render view. What is the tonemapping that you do? Is it in image output > Filters of the karma render settings?
Edited by anbt - Jan. 21, 2024 05:45:15
8015 posts
anbt
jsmack

What have you done exactly because I just reopened the scene, I changed .jpg by .exr in the render settings, but it still looks off in the Karma render view. What is the tonemapping that you do? Is it in image output > Filters of the karma render settings?

I just changed the view from un-tone-mapped to ACES 1.0 - Sdr Video.

there's currently no way to do the OCIO display-view transform directly in Karma, which only supports colorspace transforms. It has to be applied as a post process. If you add a colorspace to the config that applies the display-view transform, then you could save it directly from karma, but this goes against the spirit of OCIO 2.0.
81 posts
jsmack

But so did I, how come your render view in karmaCPU has the right colors? They are wrong on my side.
8015 posts
anbt
jsmack

But so did I, how come your render view in karmaCPU has the right colors? They are wrong on my side.

I haven't done anything besides fixing the paths in the material to point to the correct folder. I used the built in config changed to acescg working color.
  • Quick Links