Forcing certain paths to be absolute at export

389   1   0
25 posts
Hey guys,

I have some references/sublayers which i'm using to load stuff onto my stage. These inputs *don't live within the relative directory structure of my usd asset*. Any textures i'm using in shaders in solaris are like this too.

When I'm running the usd rop at the end of the network chain to write stuff to disk (with "use relative paths" enabled) , i'm finding that a lot of my intermediary layers make a lot of sense to have relative paths, since they all live together as part of a package. However all these files that were generated somewhere else, and that i'm loading in from a completely different part of project structure actually cause me more of a headache by being relative.

I end up with relative paths like "../../../../../../../../../../../../textures/diffuse.exr" which are difficult to read and track down, and can complicate other parts of my process.

Is there any way I can indicate specific paths to be absolute, without having to disable "relative paths" on the rop? I'd love to for example, ensure that paths pointing outside of the relative structure of the USD asset i'm making stay as absolute.

An aside - when it comes time to package up a completely portable asset to send elsewhere, I will run my own script to correctly pull everything together into a nested structure, and update the paths to be relative.
Staff
4512 posts
Not with the default set of output processors, no. But you could always write your own output processor that uses whatever criteria you want to pick between relative paths or not...
  • Quick Links