Node Permanent Defaults with Recipes

617   6   1
25 posts
Hello,
how should i setup permanent default paramaters when adding nodes in Houdini 20.5? We have recipes system now but I don't see an option to set defaults. Under "Legacy Presets" is still option to "Save as Permanent Defaults" but is it correct to use it, since it is an outdated system?
373 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/97161/ [www.sidefx.com]

I just asked the exact question. No answer so far, sadly
2110 posts
Dawid Wizor
Under "Legacy Presets" is still option to "Save as Permanent Defaults" but is it correct to use it, since it is an outdated system?

What do you mean by 'correct'?

You could say have a recipe and apply it - then also go to Legacy Presets and Save as Permanent Defaults.

Or just set up your desired preset and save as permanent default.
25 posts
BabaJ
What do you mean by 'correct'?

I assume there is a reason they added "legacy" to the name of these options. This suggests that these options shouldn't be used in first place, because we have new, better features(and maybe one day they will be removed). So they left it in software for people who used them before the update, so that they don't lose their presets, and can have time for switch to new features. Otherwise, calling it legacy is misleading.
Edited by Dawid Wizor - July 21, 2024 11:18:18
2110 posts
Ok, I see...but I guess it's a matter of perception - I would consider it not misleading but rather usefull if one has never used presets before.
'Because what you are about to use is legacy...why don't you go over here and use this instead...you might like how it works...'

Just helps differentiates to indicate two different systems rather than one with improved features.
Edited by BabaJ - July 21, 2024 13:40:36
201 posts
Please, have you anybody RFEd the "Permanent Default" feature? Or have you found an "easy" solution? (other than custom Python "onCreated" script)?
2110 posts
ikoon
"Permanent Default" feature? Or have you found an "easy" solution?

It already exists and it's easy. Just go under Legacy Presets to save as permenent default.

If you mean to have that same existing option put under the recipe pull down menu, yeah - just submit an RFE.
  • Quick Links