Could not find the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in ""

982   10   0
19 posts
if I try to start hython from terminal in linux I am getting this error

qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I had the problem in ubuntu 22.04 and also arch .

using houdini 20.5 also had this with 20.0

could not find anything about this via forum search .
276 posts
Perhaps this discussion will seem useful
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/81990/ [www.sidefx.com]
Staff
514 posts
We keep a list of required packages here: https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/linux-package-requirements-for-houdini-205/ [www.sidefx.com]
19 posts
Yeah it was working fine and I installed something that broke hython in 20.5 . 20.0.251 hython works fine. super strange. is there a path of something that could get pointed to the wrong place? I did install pyside6 for another app trying to think what I installed that broke it . its just strange that it was working fine . I tried to reinstall 20.5.311 and same issue . py10 version
Staff
514 posts
Was anything inserted into your LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PATH variables?
Edited by johnmather - July 30, 2024 16:02:01
19 posts
echo $PATH returns
/home/mkirylo/.config/openbox/scripts:/usr/share/archcraft/scripts:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty
19 posts
ok did a fresh install of ubuntu hython in houdini 20.5.278 hython works fine untill I pip install pyside6 then it breaks. I am pip installing to .local/bin in a venv not sure why 20.5 hython is conflicting with pyside 6
Staff
514 posts
If you're installing it within a virtualenv, it shouldn't affect Houdini unless you have the environment active when you start Houdini or source houdini_setup. Is that what you're doing? Check the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PYTHONPATH and PYTHONHOME environment variables and see if something has been inserted.
19 posts
nevermind its something in a package file I am loading almost got it figured out .
19 posts
I am using prism pipeline and its something in their intergration . its setting a path var to their plugin folder . when it loads that hython breaks . ill ask them about it .
19 posts
this is in the init script for prism causing the problem if i change this to pyside6 hython works fine . but then prism breaks ..

try:
import PySide2
  • Quick Links